Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today is day 4......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Uh.....Dennis....this is a family friendly site......watch those "wife giving you whacks" comments....don't give us too many details!

Question?.....How are you planning on maintaining your "redneck" status without "snuff or chew"?

John........You'd thoroughly enjoy visiting with Dennis, his wonderful wife and children!
    LOL Ken!!!!!! The wife whacks come in the shape of a frying pan up'side the head.

Well....I "can" maintain my redneck status 'cause the do have some herbal snuff on the market this is tobacco free, called "Smokey Mountain Wintergreen". That way I can at least "look" like I'm holding my redneck status.

John will have to come down here and we'll go to the "Payton Creek Catfish House" and eat off the buffet......They serve Frog Legs and such on Friday / Saturday nights.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

You need to hit this site, and check out all of the links: http://www.quitsmokeless.org/

As someone who has stopped and started and stopped and started and stopped for over 20 years.....you get the picture....stopping dipping is one of life's hardest challenges. In college, a friend of mine had an article from the Baylor School of Medicine that stated the nicotine factor in Copenhagen for the first 10-15 minutes was the equivalent of a cigarette per minute. I believe it.

There are placebos out there you can buy if you need something between your cheek and gums at WalMart called Smokey Creek - mainly crushed clover / grass mixed with a sweetener (green can for Skoal equivalent) and a dark maroon / brownish can (kind of, but not quite, a Copenhagen equivalent). That helped me better vs. seeds or the patch or the gum or hocus pocus methods. Prayer helps a little, but I think God has a sense of humor by putting you through hell in your effort to quit just for going down the dipping path in the first place. Everyone is different: some are even able to quit cold turkey (I never could, and was a bigger $%^(*&^ while trying to go cold turkey).

Good luck - getting past the first three days is the hardest physically. The remainder of the days are harder mentally as you do the activities where you normally dipped.

Whoa Dennis, froglegs???? My grandfather recently sold the farm with umpteen gazillion ponds on it. Froglegs went out of the question at that time. No-one sells froglegs here except China grown froglegs, and I don't have to speak the speech of possibly eating anything from China now-a-days..... I love froglegs. May have to stop by if ever coming through the area, just to savor the froglegs and good company . Now we up here at the lake have an abundance of "snappers", and I love a good turtle too, but just not the same as the "leapin legs...
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    So Bro!!
    Hang in there Bud.
    You can do this.
    TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

[quote=mark page;680358]Whoa Dennis, froglegs???? /quote]

Taste like chicken!!!

God job, Dennis.

You pretty much got it licked now.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Hey Dennis,
    If the worst comes to worst, I have a prescription made out for I think it's Chantrix. I'm trying to read the Dr.'s writing. I have been smoking since 13 yrs old and will have to quit soon. My place of employment goes non smoking as of the first of the year. This prescription is supposed to counter-effect the cravings for nicotine, alcohol, etc. etc. etc. Just about anything a person is addicted to. Supposed to calm the brain area that perceives the effect of what-ever drug it is. I haven't filled the script yet, but just about ready to. If I'm very busy all day long, then there is no problem with not smoking, but if I have standing time, then the idle mind is the devil's playground. The Dr. states I am supposed to take it for a month before quiting smoking and then keep taking it for a couple months afterwards. I guess I will give it a try and see how it works. If the cravings get too bad, you might want to check into this script and see if it helps. More power to you and my best wishes.
    Mark
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Dennis, I hope you're not pulling your hair out yet, if you're like me you cant afford to pull much out!! LOL
    My LOML and I are doing a stop smoking program beginning in November. Ive already got the Rx for Chantix and shes just waiting on her doc to return from maternity leave to get hers so was can do this together. I have tried to quit smoking several times in the past and failed miserably each time so Im hoping this works. I know how tough this can be so hang in there and keep the good thoughts in mind.
    Heres something to try, everytime you want a chew hit yourself in the head with a hammer. This over time will do two things. One it will program your brain to associate chewing with pain and two who wants to chew with a huge headache like that! LOL
    Good luck to you buddy!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

How 'bout putting the money you'd spend on tobacco into a box and go buy some nice ne

I quit January of 2002. That following August we took a two week vacation, drove from Nebraska to New York (Catskills) and back and most of the trip was paid for by the money I didn't burn up on tobacco.

Chewed a lot of gum and ate enough celery to support a colony of rabbits, but managed to keep my commitment. There still are times I want to seriously injure someone I have to put up with, But nicotine has nothing to do with it. LOL!

Good luck and hang in there, Sawdust is better, just don't put a pinch of it between your cheek and gum.

Thanks for your support.

Jim,
    I already have a headache and I know exactly what would cure it....but I ain't goin' there any more...I laid the tobacco down and as of right now, I'm simply refusing to pick it up again.

Roger,
    LOL!!!!!!!!!! So far, I've chewed enough chewing gun to patch every pot-hole in every road in Faulkner County, Arkansas.!!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Roger,
    Re: Celery...as we get older...we can never under estimate the need for more roughage.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Dennis...As a Baseball coach for 20 years...man do I understand. Went from dipping to sunflower seeds...then the doc tells me my blood pressure is sky high and I need to go to salt free...but they are full of fat so your arteries with freeze up and kill ya.

It's been 12 years now...and I gag at the thought of what I was doing. You can do it man...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Great Going Dennis!
    It can be done. Started at 16 quit at 50 and have been nicvotine free for 28 years. I think that it all depends on the inside person. I must have made the effort twenty times and it never stuck. There came a time when I just plain stopped. For about three weeks my assistant would come into my office and blow smoke at me and I just sat and laughed at him
    Stay with it it will even out. I liked the suggestion of getting into a tough problem. perhaps sopme more table making???
    Good Luck
    Ed

Dennis, that's fantastic news. I wish you the best.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Well, I've made it yet another day. And I'm beginning to miss it less and less.

Hey Ed....the LOML has be removing wallpaper border from most of the house. Does that count???
    Dennis -

Blog Entries

what helped me quit

I quit smoking over 10 years ago and the only thing that kept me sane was setting up a heavy bag in the basement. Every time I wanted to smoke I beat the hell out of the bag until I was going to collapse. Good luck.