Thread: Got a hit on a decent used saw - couple questions

Got a hit on a decent used saw - couple questions

According to the owner this saw has only been used
    a couple times and was purchased last year: JTAS-10XL

He's asking $1200 does that seem like a good price?

Also I have a small van with a hitch....could I safely move this thing with a motorcyle trailer? If so what precautions should I take to pad the saw to avoid breaking motor mounts etc.? I don't think these trailers have shocks built in...would hate to get it home and find out that I broke it.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure that I'm familiar with this model, but if its the one that comes with the 50in fence, table board, and router lift, it sounds like an okay deal (currently selling for ~$1800 on Amazon). If it it's just a JTAS-10 cabinet saw with a 30in fence without all of the add-ons, I'd say it's a little pricey. I've seen a few JTAS-10s with the 30in fence going for around $700-900 on Craigslist. I may expect a little more depreciation for used tools than most buyers, though.

As far as moving the saw goes, I wouldn't be too worried about using an enclosed motorcycle trailer. As long as you secure the saw from shifting around, I wouldn't think you need to pad the trunnions or other inner workings. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post

Also I have a small van with a hitch....could I safely move this thing with a motorcyle trailer? If so what precautions should I take to pad the saw to avoid breaking motor mounts etc.? I don't think these trailers have shocks built in...would hate to get it home and find out that I broke it.

Thanks
    I went to Budget and rented a 15' Izuzu cargo truck with a lift gate. Cost me $100, and saved me $1,000 in piece of mind. Many rental outfits won't rent lift gate trucks to Joe Woodworker, only to businesses. Budget will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    purchased last year: JTAS-10XL

He's asking $1200 does that seem like a good price?
    I'd want to know why he's selling it.

Also I have a small van with a hitch....could I safely move this thing with a motorcyle trailer? If so what precautions should I take to pad the saw to avoid breaking motor mounts etc.?

Prolly be OK so long as the trailer is rated for the 1000 'r so pounds it'll weigh.

I doubt you'll the motor break off it's mounts or anything like that. If the motor is on a pivot mount you might want to tie it up. But I'm pretty sure the Jet Cab saw motors are a hard mount like Delta or Griz.

You could let a little air from the tires is you wanted a softer ride - and go slower.

Just a reminder for the trailer........be sure you have 60% of the weight in front of the trailer axle. If not, especially with a small trailer, you could end up in the ditch.

HTH
    George

I sold my circa 2000 Jet JTS-10XL (50" fence and a few extras like the HTC mobile base) for more than $1100 early this year in excellent condition. The trailer should be fine, but do balance it as mentioned by the previous poster.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trailer

Consider using a Uhaul trailer. I used one to pick up a jointer from Grizzly in Muncy. A Uhaul trailer costs less than $20 per day, has tie downs, and the floor is less than two feet off the pavement.