Thread: Woodworker to the Rescue: Two Step Solution for Getting into the Hot Tub...

Woodworker to the Rescue: Two Step Solution for Getting into the Hot Tub...

My wife got us a big hot tub last year, but due to (relatively) short legs she has some amusing difficulty actually getting into the hot tub. I looked into commercial spa steps and got sticker shock. Plastic steps can cost $300!!! Cheap / poorly constructed teak steps approach $1000!!!

Woodworker to the Rescue:

I bought some 1” teak flooring from Lumber Liquidators (only approx. $80), chopped it up into steps, added about $10 worth of stainless steel screws from McFeely’s, and now getting into the hot tub has become an easy low risk operation, regardless of leg length or experience at the high jump or pole vaulting.

The steps are larger and more of a focal point than initially expected. Each tread is 17” deep. The steps weigh about 100 lbs. Leftover non-slip floor tiles are inlaid with silicone caulk. The teak protrusions under each deck are actually the ends of “joists” which prevent deflections that could crack the 14” tiles.

I don't usually consider woodworking a cost effective solution. However, in this case, if the commercial steps I looked were actually worth their price, then these home made steps should be worth more than the hot tub…

Sincerely,
    Ed Garrett
    Tallahassee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ed Garrett; 10-18-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Add a photo and sentence

Looks really good. We have the plastic steps which were part of the package when we got ours. They are pretty flimsy as you said, plus they are so light they don't stay put.

Very tasteful

Nice job Ed. Very tasteful.

Look great to me! They even provide a nice place for a non-hot tub user to sit and chat with someone in the tub. Or even a place for a few relaxing beverages. Last place you want something light weight and flimsy is when your climbing in and out with wet bare feet.

Thanks Sean.

You're right. They're useful as a seat, side table, etc...

Knock up another, and put it on eBay. You might find a regular source of income to support your woodworking habit.

Thumbs up Nice:)

Very nice job- they look great , well built , sturdy ,and very functional- those would get top $$$$$$$$ nice work.'
    Brian

wow

They are very nice! You could pay for a hot tub if you sell a couple of those things...

Great job! What I wouldn't give to have one of them next to the pool here. Sure could use a good old soak. Man, I don't feel 35.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Legal Action

I appreciate your confidence that these steps would sell well. It occurred to me too that there's an unexploited niche here, but my next thought was that drunken fools climbing out of their hot tubs would break their heads on these steps and sue, costing me the equavalent 50 hot tubs.

Sincerely,
    Ed Garrett
    Tallahassee
    Last edited by Ed Garrett; 10-18-2007 at 8:40 PM. Reason: fix typo

That looks nicer than the hot tub!

Pete

That is a classy solution and I really like it. I agree there is potential for some extra business there. I would check with your local hot tub installers about supplying them, that may limit your liability exposure. Either way, it's a very creative and well executed project.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Ed, What did you use for a finish on the Teak? I think by keeping it simple it adds to the piece. Pat yourself on the back...go out for a beer...and figure out how to mass produce these. There are ways to limit your liability through LLC or something like that. I am sure others understand and know more than I do.
    Good Luck.
    Greg

Sturdy, strong and beautiful. I bet your wife is pretty happy with those, and you not laughing at her anymore!

Very nice work.