Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tyler-inspired platter

Cool A Tyler-inspired platter

With all the ribbin' I always get from Tyler 'bout "cheese", I thought I'd throw a block of Walnut on the spinny thing and turn something both, for cheese AND crackers. It's just under 11" diameter and @3" tall at the center. I kept the main body of the platter at roughly 1/4", as I perceive it getting some use in possibly "less than delicate" surroundings. Finish is a couple coats of Salad Bowl finish applied on lathe (NO, Tyler. Not ON the lathe, but on the piece while it was still mounted on the lathe! Sheeeesh.) Thanks for taking a peek.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    John!!!!!!
    You're making me hungry. Very nice my Friend.
    PS I'm moving down next to Dennis where I am appreciated(SP)
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Good looking turning John. Can't wait to get my spinny mini out of the box and running. I bought it 2 1/2 yrs. ago on clearance sale and haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet! Hope it still works.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    Good looking turning John. Can't wait to get my spinny mini out of the box and running. I bought it 2 1/2 yrs. ago on clearance sale and haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet! Hope it still works.
    2-1/2 years???!!!! Tony! Fifty lashes with a wet staining rag! Get that puppy *outta'* the box and use a sharpened screwdriver if you have to, for a chisel, but get to turnin'! Do it quickly, before some other "needy" soul finds it and takes it off your hands!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hi John,

Nice looking platter! I know nothing about spinning, so this may be a silly question, but do you need to hollow out the large block in the middle to help prevent splitting or is it solid?

And when I first joined this forum I thought you were a regular woodworker. Sheesh. (but I still respect your talents)

Some day I may catch the fever if I can make enough room. I don't think my wife would let me put any of the tools in the living room like Tyler. What a cool house that must be.

Tyler, I haven't searched the forum, but do you have any pictures of your tools in the same room as your couch?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Tyler, I haven't searched the forum, but do you have any pictures of your tools in the same room as your couch?
    Sorry no couch, we just sit on the work bench.

See what I can dig up.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-07-2004 at 6:43 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Excellent piece, John. Wisconsin is lucky to have you! But now you need a face shield/helmet that looks like one of those cheddar hats they were at the games...hee hee
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jeff,

Well, I really AM a regular WW. Really. Honest. I wouldn't lie to you. I will admit, though, turning is fun! And, with all the other workshop chores (non-building type) I've been into lately, the instant gratification, really helps to act as a "reminder" of why I have all these tools!

This particular piece started as one, whole junk. Nothing glued up or such and no, I had no issues with cracking. It was one, *real* dry hunk of Walnut, though!

Oh, and the tools in Tyler's living room? No, that's really another workshop and he just "lets" his wife put a couch and TV in there!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Nice turn, bud. You need some Avatar.

Hey Spring Green,
    I really like your turning and its obvious utility. GREAT WORK!!

Ok. Now let's be honest. Which artisan up in Door County did you buy this from? Was it in Fish Creek, Ephraim, Egg Harbor, Bailey's Harbor, Washington Island or what?

Nice job, Spring. I just LOVE to see turnings with utilitarian applications. HMMMM! What did I just say??

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Uh, no, but my wood supplier gets some of his wood (some beautiful Maple) from someone out to Washington Island. Does that count? (Thanks, BTW!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    With all the ribbin' I always get from Tyler 'bout "cheese", I thought I'd throw a block of Walnut on the spinny thing and turn something both, for cheese AND crackers. It's just under 11" diameter and @3" tall at the center. I kept the main body of the platter at roughly 1/4", as I perceive it getting some use in possibly "less than delicate" surroundings. Finish is a couple coats of Salad Bowl finish applied on lathe (NO, Tyler. Not ON the lathe, but on the piece while it was still mounted on the lathe! Sheeeesh.) Thanks for taking a peek.
    That is one fine looking hunk of walnut, John. I really like the detail work. One of these days I'm gonna have to spin out something other than bowls or the occasional table leg.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    John!!!!!!
    You're making me hungry. Very nice my Friend.
    PS I'm moving down next to Dennis where I am appreciated(SP)
    Tyler ol' buddy....you just come on down here and we'll treat you "right".! Don't let John mistreat you like that...teasing you with that roundy-round thing he did up on the spinny thing of his.....Shoot...just move your house down here and I will help you get it remodeled on the inside so it won't take you so long....

Your ol' buddy Dennis....spreadin' the southern hospitality.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

John,
    Excellent your the spin docta'!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

John,

very nice turning there. I like the walnut and you did REALLY good on it. I am proud of you and what you turned. Thanks for posting the pic.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    2-1/2 years???!!!! Tony! Fifty lashes with a wet staining rag! Get that puppy *outta'* the box and use a sharpened screwdriver if you have to, for a chisel , but get to turnin'! Do it quickly, before some other "needy" soul finds it and takes it off your hands!

Chisels aren't the hold up, got a real nice set of five at a garage sale 'bout five, maybe six years ago for $5 in anticipation of getting a spinny thing some day.

Problem is TIME. This work routine is a real pain, constantly gets in the way of good shop time. Thought about giving up the work thing, but then I won't be able to buy tools. Also, I kinda like to eat (way to much) and it's nice to sleep in a warm dry place, specially in the cold winters. But that banker dude says if I don't give him that thing he calls "mortgage payment" each month I can't live in my house anymore. He's got some nerve being like that. So's I decide to work more and make more money so I can get rid of the banker dude faster..... but then the IRS dude wants more and I end up with less. Then I can't get as many new tools. Can't seem to win no matter what I do!
    Tony