Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench mortiser or mortise attachment for drill press?

Bench mortiser or mortise attachment for drill press?

Pros and Cons of each? If you have a drill press, does the mortising attachment work just as well as a bench mortiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    Pros and Cons of each? If you have a drill press, does the mortising attachment work just as well as a bench mortiser?
    Not even close. I would say that 75% of mortising attatchments never see action after the initial futile attempt at making square holes in the drill press.
    Gary

Additionally, drill presses were never truly created to be mortising machines. When mortising, you're often putting a lot of undue stress on your drill press. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I'd either buy a mortiser or use a router to make my mortises.

My .02...

Keith

South-central PA (30 min W of Gettysburg)
    Although not a drill press but still pretty stout is my Shopsmith which I kept for this particular job as well as a sanding station and hopefully a little lathe work. I blew $180 on the mortising attachment and it's pathetic. Attempting to perform the task on my first MT joint in cherry I had to press so hard that the table deflected. I built some cribbing and I swear that I still got some torsion of the table. I could have had a HF unit and mods for this money so I too am begging you, "Don't do it".

I'd agree wiht the others.
    I bought the Jet HCM a few years back and have been very satisfied with it. I heard similar horror stories about using a mortising attachment with a drill press. I'm glad I bought the dedicated mortiser.

Blog Entries
    Rick,
    go for the dedicated mortiser! If cost is an issue, buy the one from Harbor Freight. Normally, I don't spend money on their machines because I want something that will last, but my neighbor had bought one and had a serious health issue come up and needed the money, but lost the receipt. I took it off his hands as a way to help him out. It was still in the box. I've used it for several projects and it is actually very accurate and reliable. You can upgrade the bits after you wear down the ones that come with it, but otherwise, i am very happy!

The only thing that beats saving time by not having to make equipment changes is saving money! This will do both.

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Even if your drill press attachment works, you won't use it because of the time it takes to set it up and tear it down. Get a dedicated mortiser and use your drill press as a drill press.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Good question, Rick. I used to watch Norm use a drill press mortising attachment during the first season of NYW. Awhile back I remembered this and considered buying one. I read a few reviews online and it wasn't pretty. One reviewer literally took his drill press mortising attachment and chucked into the woods rather than chuck it into his drill press again.

I notice Norm quit using his drill press mortiser shortly after he started. It sure is tempting considering how much a good mortising machine can run. However, it seems those attachments are just an exercise in futility.

okay then.

Well I guess that answered that question pretty quickly. I've never been witness to either machine in use, so I had no idea. Fine Woodworking did a review on these a couple of years ago and it looks like the General and the Delta had pretty high reviews...with the General being top at like $400 something, and the Delta being a "best value" at around $250. So....no drill press attachment...THANKS GUYS!!

I initially purchased a Delta mortising attachment for a 17 inch drill press.

What a waste of time and money, the drill press cannot push hard enough on the chisel, the alignment is poor etc. etc.

I then purchased a General International mortiser and it was like night and day. It makes great mortises, I haven't regretted spending the money, unlike the Delta atachment.......regards, Rod.

Cool

I thought of using my drill press, but after reading many posts on the forums I bought a Steel City mortiser. It is a very well made machine.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    I thought of using my drill press, but after reading many posts on the forums I bought a Steel City mortiser. It is a very well made machine.
    I wish there was a SMC back in the 90's. Would have saved me a ton of money.
    Gary

Since I have own both I guess I can comment.

The DP attachment, once set up, will work exactly as a regular mortizer. The key is once set up. It does take time to set it up correctly. I made some jigs to help the process. The key to both is sharp chisels. If they are not then you will have problems, more so on the DP since the handles are shorter and you have less torque.

Now that I have my mortizer I won't go back to my DP unless my mortizer breaks. Of course there is the cost difference.

I read on one of these forums from an mechinical engineer about the force and stress on the DP when using the attachement. Based on his analysis the force isn't an issue.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

Drill Press Mortiser are OK

I've been using a drill press mortising attachment for a very long time and have no problems with it. Set-up conists of tightening one bolt around the drill press collar...not a big deal to me. In fact, I think I'd rather afix an attachment to my drill press than to lift that heavy little mortiser onto my workbench top. Younger and healthier woodworkers may disagree.

However, I must say that I don't do a lot of mortises. Also, it's always nice to have a dedicated machine for any task. I guess it's a matter of space and perhaps budget.

-Jeff

I got a mortising attachment "free" with my drill press, and for many years had only that. I have built 5 projects using M & T's done on my drill press with none of the problems stated above. The setup takes all of five minutes and alignment is not that difficult.

Now for you naysayers, I recently bought a dedicated mortiser because it was at a drastic discount. The underlying reason is to free up my drill press. I suppose I could have simply bought another DP but the mortiser was cheaper than the lowest priced DP I could find.

Really, these paragraphs cancel each other out...like me voting no on a millage request and the wife voting yes!!!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.