Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection piping ?

Dust collection piping ?

Can anyone post up pics of there 4" pvc dc piping. Im having a hard time with mine. Mainly where the the pvc ends and the flex hose begins, will I need a reducer in order to attach the pvc to the flex? Thanks

2. Hi Brian,

I don't have any pics but I can tell you what I used. I have the green light weight drain PVC. There is an adaptor for conversion from this pipe to heavier wall pvc. This adaptor fits perfect for 4" hose. I ran a main truck line with branches off the main for each machine. To hang the pipe I used 4" mini's (you can get them at an electrical wholesale if you as for a 4" mini they should know what you want) and threaded rod lagged into the ceiling. I avoided any sharp 90 degree t's and only used an elbow to point the pipe down. It ain't pretty but it seems to work okay. My dc is a HF 2hp that I run through a can to make a 2 stage system. I put it in the next room with a remote switch to cut out the noise. I hope this helps. This was best thing I ever did for the shop.

One of the easiest ways to adapt your hose to your plastic pipe is to get a little sheet metal and roll it so it slips into your duct, leaving a flange exposed to clamp the hose to. Use a few pop rivets to keep the metal in place.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim that is perfect and what Ill prolly do. Thanks for the help guys.

Any worries with static and explosions when using plastic pipe?

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Brian, I have a 4" PVC line to my bandsaw. I used the 4" flex from Woodworkers Supply, and it is a tight fit. I used a hair dryer on the flex for about 2 minutes to make it go on easier. It was tight enough, I haven't put a clamp on it at all. Same with my 6" runs, the flex had to be heated, but I've made some bridge clamps out of stainless band clamps to secure the 6". Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I got gates for dust collection system and they fit into the PVC then used 3 screws to fasten them to it that way I can take them out and clean them if anything gets in to plug the pipe. On the end I used a coupler and put it inside the PVC and used screws I tried to upload pictures of this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Winslow; 10-18-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Jim O'Dell your the man, hit it with a hair dryer for a minute or so and on it went. Fit is pretty tight but Ill prolly put clamps on. Thanks Jim

Back when I could use PVC pipe I did the same as Jim Winslow.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
    Can anyone post up pics of there 4" pvc dc piping. Im having a hard time with mine. Mainly where the the pvc ends and the flex hose begins, will I need a reducer in order to attach the pvc to the flex? Thanks
    Brian,

I have found for 4" PVC pipe Woodcraft carries a plastic 4" PVC pipe to a 4" dust collection fitting adapter. I want to say they are about 5 bucks for the adapter. You can connect the blast gate to it. They also carry an adapter you can attach to the PVC pipe then attach the dust collection hose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hood View Post
    Any worries with static and explosions when using plastic pipe?
    No worries about "explosions"...the conditions are not supportive of that. Static can be uncomfortable, however. Some folks will wrap a drain wire around the duct to try and dissipate static charges.

Personally, I prefer metal duct because it's more flexible in sizing. Plastic, in general, only offers 4" or 6" and the latter can sometimes be difficult to source as it's rarely a "retail" item.
    --

Check out this JET 4-Inch Disconnet.

Jet JW1047 4-Inch Quick Disconnect

I really like this quick disconnect adapter. It's threaded to screw on the 4" hose. The other end friction fits to the 4" tool dust port or plugs into a 4" PVC Coupler. Very reasonable price at Amazon. I paid $5.95 at our local Western Tool.

Here's the link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JW1047-4-I...2817292&sr=8-1

And here's a different style: Jet JW1038 4-Inch Quick Disconnect with Smooth End. I think this version requires a hose clamp.

Here's the link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B00006S7CL

-Don

Jason Hanna Guest
    Warning: if you have the Rockler hoses, they will not work with those quick disconnects. The disconnects are made to work with "left hand threads" and the Rockler hoses are "right handed".

Guess how I found that out....

14. Don't want to start a fight here, but ditch the PVC.

Use metal and make sure to ground all your pipes.

There is a serious static electricity issue with DC systems that are used even modestly.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

Jeff...some good reading on the subject...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/.../DC_myths.html

While I don't like PVC for this application for a number of reasons, it's a personal choice, and not based on concern about static.
    --