Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Shop Insurance

Woodworking Shop Insurance

I recently started a small sole proprieter woodworking business. I have a detached structure that I use for my shop with about $15,000 worth of tools. I am looking for insurance coverage for both my tools and libility. I teach as well as work in the shop. I have my homeowner's insurance with State Farm but they do not have a program to cover my shop. Can you please make recommendations for insurance companies/programs that provide this type of insurance?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Post Jeff

Try Utica First Ins Co. ~ I have my company insurance through them and have been very satisfied with their coverage and service.
    Brian

thanks for asking this. a few months ago i had that "uh-oh" moment when i realized that my home owner policy would probably not cover my detached shop - which i use for a sole propiriator business. and my homeowner policy holder also did not do small businesses. searched the i-net and found several that would cover it for xorbitant rates (search small business insurance) - now waiting on a few local brokers to get back to me - one is farmer's insurance. hoping someone knows more.

jerry
    jerry

I suggest you speak with a local independent agency that handles business insurance. They will likely represent a number of carriers and after getting a better understanding of your particular business situation, will be able to recommend the various coverages that will handle your needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff -

In my "day job," I work with small businesses on a variety of issues, including insurance. I suggest that you call two local independent insurance agents in your community to see what they have available for you.

This spurs a good question. What about those of us who use their shops for strictly hobby use. Does homeowners cover this or is a separate policy needed? Just curious what others do.

The suggestions about finding an agent are good ones. As to being satisfied with the "service" of an insurance company, one never knows until one has a claim. My experience with a major company was somewhat less than satisfactory. If you are sued, they say they will cover perhaps one of the "counts", but you're on your own for all the other "kitchen sink" claims the plaintiff's lawyer throws into your court. It's, "Oh, we don't cover that, read your policy". So, you end up hiring your own lawyer on your account for those "kitchen sink" claims.

Then, when it comes time to settle, you negotiate how much you're going to pay and how much your insurer pays! We all need insurance, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because you're paying those big premiums. Insurance is a business like any other; they're in it to make money and keep as much of it as they can.
    Visit Peercon.com

Smile

The Hartford Insurance is a good one to check. I have had my business insurance with them for years. Even though I had had homeowners and auto insurance with Farmers Insurance for years, They gave me a quote that was 8 times more than Hartford which told me that they did not want this type or insurance.

This is an excellant post. I too am looking for small business insurance for my shop. I mostly work alone and would like to know how much other people pay so I can comparison shop, with a little knowledge of what I should expect as reasonable. Anyone care to jump in with some prices. Thanks a bunch, Reed
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

I asked my homeowner's insurance company about that and they indicated I would be covered under the homeowner policy. Your mileage may differ.

Check with a local Chubb agent. I have coverage for my home as well as my detached shop (on the same property) and they seem to have about the best coverage I was able to find. I even called another agent and they said to stick with what I have.

What coverage is available is dependant on where you live. This issue has been discussed at length on this site so searching the archives would be a very good idea. I checked with my agent about this a few years back and either my garage or an external building would be covered under my homeowners policy for the building structure (and things like lights, furnace, AC, etc). What wouldn't be covered would be the tools, wood stock, completed projects or the business (i.e. liability if my bookcase I built for you kills your cat). To insure the tools my agent recommended an Inland Marine policy from another company.

Our home insurance is with State Farm. My wife teaches out of the house, and uses that square footage as business expense for IRS deduction purposes. We were able to get a rider policy from SF that covers her for 1 million for her business in case a child has an accident on the property. IIRC, it wasn't that expensive. Our home policy covers my detached shop and contents. If I was running it as a business, I believe I'd have to have a separate rider for it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hi,
    My homeowners covers my shop (which I pay extra for, including my truck for commercial business)... I have liability insurance - $500,000 (I think) through AIG that costs me about $1,000.00 per year - for the cat and bookcase thing.

If your a home owner or have other valuable assets you should look into becoming a Limited Liability Corporation or LLC and carry independent coverage on the corporation. Having untrained people using your facility could be devastating in the event of a life altering or debilitating accident.

This may sound like overkill on the surface but it's the safest way to protect your assets in the event of an accident because a million doesn't go very far these days. Also look into a two million dollar umbrella policy for all your other insurance policies. At two to three hundred dollars a year they are affordable.

Vic