Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freud Dial-A-Width Dado??

Freud Dial-A-Width Dado??

I thought I posted this yesterday but must have pushed the wrong button. Anyway....

I was looking at a Freud display yesterday at the local Woodcraft store and the Freud sales guy was discussing the SD608 Dial-A-Width dado set. It seems rather interesting. http://www.freudtools.com/p-312-dial...dado-sets.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with this set?

The "sales price" was about $212

Thanks,
    Jim

I had the set for awhile and then sold it. The dial feature is nice but I didn't cut enough dadoes to justify the cost. Additionally, it was rare that I had to use the feature to micro adjust the size. The set leaves a nice clean cut but to be honest I didn't notice that much of a difference between it and the Freud set I have now, the $95 one from HD. If you're seriously looking at it make sure that it will fit your arbor. I have a Ridgid 3650 and I couldn't put the entire set with all of the chippers on my arbor. That was one other reason that I sold mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I run an SD508 and would have gone for the SD608 if it would have fit my saw. The dial-a-width mechanism requires a length or arbor that my saw did not have. Only missed it by a couple of screw threads but a couple is too much.

There is a simple formula; with the dado on your arbor set to it's widest width allows your arbor nut to thread on to the point where the tip of your arbor shaft is at least even with the outer surface of the nut, you're good.

If your arbor is not long enough, you can still use the SD608. You just can't use it to its full width. I opted for the SD508 as I could get full width but, I had to give up the dial-a-width feature.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have it and really enjoy the dial/a/width. I always have hated having to use the shims and the dial adjustment really makes adjusting widths easy plus the cut is awfully nice also.
    David

A good stacking dado combined with brass or steel shims is the single easiest and best option. You can use a micrometer to know mathematically what your dado will be before you assemble it and you will be dead on first cut every time.

You can get shim stock from any industrial supply and the stuff is useful for oh so many things. It comes in rolls and sometimes sheets. Cut the stuff with a scissors. in thickness under 0.010" easily and I've cut it as thick as 0.020".
    Aluminum Roof Flashing is good too.

You'll want a variety of thicknesses. You can get it as thin as 0.001".

About the arbor.

Anyone know if it can be used on a PM66??

The main reason I am looking at it is for plywood application. The under size thing.

Jim

Have one and like it. Only dado stack I've ever owned tho.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've used the SD608 on my Unisaw for years and it works great. I'm a pro and have to provide a quality product and this does it.
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    I have it and really enjoy the dial/a/width. I always have hated having to use the shims and the dial adjustment really makes adjusting widths easy plus the cut is awfully nice also.

I also have the 608 and enjoy it.Nice clean cuts,no hassle messing with and making your own shims.I'd rather spend the time cutting dado's,then playing with tin.

I dont have experience with the freud, but have a craftsman that is "dial" adjustable. It works ok, but i am thinking of selling it and going with a good stack dado. Setup is kinda a chore, But once it is dialed in, it works great and cuts clean...and it fits on my C'man 22114 TS arbor, no prob...

Jay,

The SD608 is a stack dado set. The one outside cutter can be micro moved to address such things as under size plywood.

I guess the idea is to eliminate shims, where you have to remove the arbor nut to make adjustments.

Thanks,
    Jim

Have it,love it,

Have it. Love it too.

I don't use it as often as I thought but when I do, it makes amazingly clean cuts. $212 is a good price.

Tim
    Wood works well with winter

I was looking at one for my PM66, but I don't think it'll work (at least not the full stack). My PM66 arbor length is 1 3/8" and the nut is 9/16". That leaves 13/16" (which is the max dado width per the 66 manual). The Freud website has the arbor length calculation details.

Here's another related question(s).

I just took the blade, collar and nut off of my PM66. I reinstalled the nut to full width and that left me with about 3/4". That is without the collar.

The question is, when installing the SD608, do you leave the collar off and can you use a narrower nut? The stock arbor nut is 5/8" thick.

The PM66 manual spec says, "maximum dado width-13/16". That means the nut would not be screwed on all the way???? And the collar would be left off??

Jim