Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk trucks for WW hauling

I have to have a van in the family since with 5 kids (when unusually all under one roof) I need the seat space. I have the Dodge Caravan long wheel base that will hold 4x8 ply with seats removed, plus have a class II trailer hitch for a trailer for larger/longer wood purchases. It's a 50 mile round trip for me to the closest wood supplier, plus daily commutes for LOML is appx 50 miles and me closer to 85 miles. A 4x4 truck or even a large sized 2wd truck is just not economical. Plus I'm not into playing musical vehicles trying to get in and out of the driveway. Between kids car and ours, I have no need to find space for another.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I've got an '89 S-10 beater (bought it brand new in '89). It's our 'spare' vehicle and I really just keep it around to haul stuff (lumber, firewood, my BIL's crap) and to loan out when someone needs a temp. ride while theirs in in the shop (usually my BIL). At this point, I'm spending less than $250/year in gas, insurance & maintenance on it. I drive a Corolla for everything else.

I've driven a lot of 4WDs, and wouldn't bother with one unless you are expecting to make a wood run in the snow, or maybe going into the rough after logs to take to the mill. Or, if you just want a big toy, but then you risk not having your WW transportation because you wrapped it around a tree, or broke the axle on a stump.

I'd love to have a Tundra. I'll probably shop for a good USED Tundra when the S-10 finally bites it (I NEVER buy new anymore).

Just picked up a 2007 GMC C2500HD Extended Cab Sierra with an 8' bed. Can carry 6 people comfortably and 1 1/2 tons of cargo. Has the tow package rated for 10,000 lbs. Great truck.

I have a Ford F150 extended cab. 6 cyl. I love the truck but only get 15 MPG on a good day. That thing is kinda big to drive downtown (Cincinnati) etc… Next time I think I will go the small cross over SUV and a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    I have to have a van in the family since with 5 kids (when unusually all under one roof) I need the seat space. I have the Dodge Caravan long wheel base that will hold 4x8 ply with seats removed, plus have a class II trailer hitch for a trailer for larger/longer wood purchases. It's a 50 mile round trip for me to the closest wood supplier, plus daily commutes for LOML is appx 50 miles and me closer to 85 miles. A 4x4 truck or even a large sized 2wd truck is just not economical. Plus I'm not into playing musical vehicles trying to get in and out of the driveway. Between kids car and ours, I have no need to find space for another.
    Hey, im glad i am not the only one! Those Chrysler product Grand mini vans are great. Even if it is a "soccer mom" vehicle.

Like I said earlier, I do have access to my cargo vans and I have a trailer as well, but it is really easy to toss a sheet of plywood in the old mini van

Joe

I use this:

It has the 6.5ft bed which means that I can still get a full size 4x8 to lay flat in the bed and not have it stick out the back when the tailgate is down. With the 5.4l engine I still get 19mpg putting around town. As for the 4x4, I opted out of it since we already have a 4x4 in case the streets ever get that bad. And so far with 70k miles I haven't had a lick of problems with is.
    Jim

I own a John Deere 3320 tractor - medium frame (not a lawn tractor but not an ag tractor) and about 3000lbs without the loader (another 1000lbs with the loader) or any other implement.

I have a 1998 4X4 Jeep grand cherokee (and a 2001 JGC for that matter) that is really in perfect shape and has 75K miles on it. Guess I could go with the utility trailer and haul the plywood like that. Most likely that is my best short term answer.

I eventually want a truck that will handle the tractor but for now that is not a problem really - don't really need to haul it anywhere.

I do have a friend with a truck as well. In fact on Thursday we are picking up a set of pallet forks for the tractor with it. I just HATE having to ask him all the time to help me out. I like taking care of my own business. Guess the utility trailer would have done that as well.

Man I still want a 2500HD or Titan though!! Don't cherish having another car payment though - tractor payment and bike payment is enough.

My wife has a Titan ! ...... after 3 or 4 years. And I love it, so does she !
    It has awhole lot of power. Matter of fact, it seems more potent than the Hemi dodge. It is rated at 305 hp, but I feel thats conservative. The 5 speed with overdrive probably helps the acceleration....but it just feels like an old 454 torque motor. Gas mileage is around 16-17 in town and 19-20 or so on the hiway. It is also a very stable and solid feeling truck. Our F-150 felt loose and would skate in wet conditions in comparison
    Last edited by Randy Denby; 10-22-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I've got a supercab F150. It's OK for transporting kids in forward facing carseats, but the rear facing have to be in the front seat. It's OK since there is an airbag override.
    Back when I bought it, there were other reasons for having a truck. If I could, I'd get something smaller and get a trailer. But, there's no place to put the trailer and the HOA is a pain about them. My wife drives a minivan and I see them as the best vehicle to own as far as family utility goes.
    I chose not to get 4x4, but it usually only snows a couple times a year here. Good tires and a pile of cinder blocks in the bed gets me through. It is a pain to put the blocks in and out, but 2WD pickups are very squirly in the snow, even with limited slip. A LOT less so with a few hundred pounds behind the rear axle.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I want a newish truck under 26K if possible. I have a 9 month old (carseat) and wife and also want to haul full sheets of plywood. What trucks do you folks use.

2005 Ford F250, 6.0 Powerstroke diesel, 4 door crew cab, 2wd, I bought in June with 36,000 miles.

How many of you use 4X4? I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money for it. I have 4X4 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and rarely use it - maybe 3-4 times a year but I do have a gravel lane and we get some snow here in IL. What do you guys recommend?

If you have that, you only need a 2wd truck.
    You will get less fuel mileage and more crap to go wrong when you go to 4wd.

Any 4 door crew cab owners hauling full sheets with that smaller short bed in the GMC/Chevy?

I have the standard bed (61/2 foot) and have no problem with full sheets.

Any Titan owners out there?

Hahahaha.....

Thanks for the info.
    HTH

HAND
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Well I am very close to owning a 2006 Titan King Cab SE 4X4 with 12K miles. Turns out my friend that needs to get rid of the payment is interested in trading for my 98 Jeep grand Cherokee. I drove the truck last night and it is very very nice. More to come. Wife has consented to helping out our friend as well. I am getting excited about owning a truck! We will still have her 01 Jeep grand Cherokee so we will have both bases covered.