Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS Amps?

Question TS Amps?

Got my "new" used JET Cabinet 3HP single phase (708661PK) saw home, the manual does not indicate the AMPs for the elecrtical circuit in the Specs.

I called customer service at JET and they said to put it on a 30AMP circuit, the motor label says 14.5 amps, does this all JIBE?

TSAmps

My Grizzly 1023 says the motor is 18 amps.I think they give you the max. amperage the motor pulls.Grizzly recommended a 20 amp breaker.I installed a 20 amp breaker with #10 wire and have never came close to blowing the breaker.Some people insist on running a bigger breaker than recommended.I would go with a 20 amp and #10 wire if it were me.Just my opinion and experience with my saw.

Is there some reason to use 10 gauge wire for 20AMP with 240V?

I know for 20AMP 120V, 12 gauge is sufficient.

Hi Dave, if the saw motor is less than 16 amperes (which yours is), install a 20 ampere breaker with #12 AWG wire.

The only reason to go with #10 AWG wire is if your circuit length is abnormally long.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Remember to put a NEMA 6-20R receptacle in for your saw.

Smile

Thanks Rod for the very precise and useful reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    Got my "new" used JET Cabinet 3HP single phase (708661PK) saw home, the manual does not indicate the AMPs for the elecrtical circuit in the Specs.

I called customer service at JET and they said to put it on a 30AMP circuit, the motor label says 14.5 amps, does this all JIBE?
    I assume you are going to run it off a 220-240V circuit. If you are going to have to add a circuit for the saw, a 10ga 30A circuit is OK but is overkill. I wouldn't consider running 10ga wire for a 30A circuit unless I was fairly sure I'd be needing it for a 5HP motor at some point in the future.The saw will run perfectly well on a 12ga 20A circuit.

You may hear such things as needing a big breaker because of high current at motor start up. That might have been the case in the days of quick blowing fuses or for motors that have to start under load but your saw's motor is not loaded at startup.

A "Standard" 20A circuit breaker will permit more than enough overcurrent for more than enough time to start your saw's motor. My 3HP Jet has been plugged into a 20A circuit for more than 5 years now and the breaker has never tripped.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Blog Entries
    A DC manufacturer I was talking with has a 3HP unit that draws 18amps. they too recommend a 30amp breaker. A user on their blog has run a 20amp breaker on 10ga wire for a couple years without incident. I would tend to go with the manufacturer's recommendation just so it isn't an issue. Unless your buying wire by the 250' spool, 12 to 10ga cost difference isn't significant enough to bother me although 12ga is generally fine. I just don't want to ever have to re-wire a given run because I took the lesser of two recommendations. That's just me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, that's because an 18 ampere load is too large for a 20 ampere circuit.

A 14 ampere load is just fine for a 20 ampere circuit.....Rod.

Bizzare and unnecessary as it may seem, if the saw is still under waranty you might want to call a second time for verification and do as they say. You don't want them to have "wiggle-room" if you need to make a claim as you will likley loose the "wiggling" match if it comes to that. I had Ingersol Rand tell me that they would not honor a warranty if I had a plug on my compressor instead of having it hard-wired. It is hard-wired.

The breaker in your box should be sized to the gauge wire you are using. For example if your machine requires 24 amps...you'd better be using #10 gauge and you could use a 30 amp breaker. If your wire is #12 gauge you can use a 20 amp breaker .......The breaker is sized to the feed wire size not the motor.......Hopefully you have wire size and breaker size has a capacity larger than the motor you are using..........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

thanks its not under warranty, its a used saw that I just bought...just want to do what safe and code for my family and the motor.

FLA is 14.5A. Just use 12GA wire and a 20A breaker and you will be following code.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Dave, if the saw motor is less than 16 amperes (which yours is), install a 20 ampere breaker with #12 AWG wire.

The only reason to go with #10 AWG wire is if your circuit length is abnormally long.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Remember to put a NEMA 6-20R receptacle in for your saw.
    This is a little off the subject but I just ran a new circuit for my TS and did not use the plug or receptacle you mentioned. I used a twistlock plug and receptacle rated at 20A 220V. Is there any problem using twistlock instead of a NEMA 6-20R?

My pole barn is 30'X40', my breaker box is located near the front of the building and my compressor (don't remember the starting amps) is located at the other side of the building also near the front. The wire length running around the wall is approximately 110 feet so I use #10 wire to compensate for any potential loss due to the long cable run. If it was a shorter run I would have used #12 wire. The breaker is 20amps.
    I would have saved some money on the wire if I could have run the wire overhead.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

That's not the "only" reason.

If you think that you may go w/ a larger appliance at a later date, you can just upgrade the breaker since you already ran the #10 wire. I ran #10 in my shop to both 220 outlets even though I only have a 15 AMP breaker on one and a 20 AMP breaker on the other. Once the sheetrock is on the walls, it makes it a lot harder to run a new wire.