Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning
    22 Oct 2007 and raining

Well, I have good news and that is.....the kitchen table is finished and is now sitting in my house to cure for 1 week before I deliver it to my customer. The LOML saw it all put together last night and said "if we only had 4 in our family? I'd LOVE to have a table just like that." Well, at least I now know she likes it well enough to want one like it.

Now I'm just working on getting the customers chairs stained and shot with lacquer. Staining is finished and I've started the lacquer spraying. I guess if I'm going to shoot any lacquer today that I'll have to add some "retarder" to it so it won't "blush". Either way, I should have her chairs done this week and deliver the chairs and her table next week!! YEA!!!!

My toughest battle in the past 7 days has been my giving up tobacco. Today marks 1 week since I've had any tobacco at all. I've chewed and dipped tobacco since I was 12 years old and here I am 36 years later quitting for the 1st time in MANY years. What makes it even harder is that I "really" enjoy the flavor and pleasure I got from it. Now I'm just an old grouch trying to make it through yet another tobacco-less day.

I'm making some nice progress on things and I'd like to know:

What dod YOU do this past weekend?????

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Went "back home" to help my dad celebrate his 80th birthday. Had a nice luncheon out at The Mandarin (large nice chinese buffet place.)

His birthday is actually at the end of the month, but by then they'll be getting packed to go down to Panama City Beach FL for a few weeks, as they do most falls for the past number of years. I'm jealous.

As we drove home I said to my wife that I can't hope for much more than for us to be as healthy and active as my folks are, when we get to be that age.
    "It's Not About You."

Friday evening we attended a celebration dinner for my recently departed, dear elk hunting buddy Larry. A lot of stories were told and I was asked to speak. I told one short story to get some laughs and then I started a story that started in 1960 in Craig Colorado and ended in 1985 in Idaho. And yes it was an elk hunting story with Larry coming in at the end. I had to stop a couple of times to steel myself. If you've never shot craps with Mother Nature in late October at an elevation of 7,000 feet with 5 of the finest and toughest people you have ever met, you have my sympathies!

While driving home I made a right turn from one major thoroughfare to another and had a severe vertigo attack. I was able to pull over to the side of the road safely and the LOML took over the driving duties.

It was late last night before I got to feeling good again.

Not much accomplished this weekend.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Took my boys to one of my favorite events, our commuter railroad's open house238559611RL735105996.jpg 238559624RL177150191.jpg

I put put one other photo here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67652
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

My that's a big Box!

I arrived home from work on Friday evening to find a large blue box on my porch. Saturday morning I wrestled it down into the basement and within 30 minutes my new Bosch 4410L was up and runing. (It was perfectly tuned right out of the box, BTW) I have to thank 'creeker Chris Jenkins for being so prompt with the shipping. It seems he had an extra one just lying around. Thanks Chris!!

By mid afternoon, I'd hung crown in two rooms,of the house.

Just to prove it really happened...

Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Went to the walleye tourney Sat and caught a 26 pounder, unfortunately it was a catfish and although on a light walleye rig it was a great battle, (fishing partner said over 35 mins) it didn't mean anything other than the joy of catch and release the biggest catfish I ever caught.

Few walleyes but not enough to place, but considering the weather was perfect, it was a enjoyable return into tournament fishing and can't wait till next time.

Sunday was repair the driveway gate, clean the garage a bit and recover from Sat.

Nice weekend overall.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Good Monday, everyone. We had a great weekend. Left early Friday morning headed to Phoenix. Had a shop visit with Creeker Scott Whiting at Scott's Sharpening Service in Glendale on Friday afternoon; nice dinner with our friends; Saturday half-day with Mike Vickery, Kevin McPeek, Jason Clark, et al at Mike's turning gathering in Gilbert (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67559); then had a real family moment....

LOML's 30-year-old daughter joined us for the afternoon and we were able to spend some good time with her for the first time in several years (it appears that the estrangement is over ). Another nice evening with our friends and hosts, and home on Sunday in a BIG wind. And got home to find about three new laser orders waiting---gonna be a busy week.

It seems that winter has come to the high desert of New Mexico - the temp at my house at 6:30 a.m. was 33 degrees , and there were freeze warnings for the valley (500 feet below us) for overnight. That BIG wind that blew us home from Arizona also brought cold weather with it.

Have a good week, everyone.

Nancy (60 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Making sawdust for the needy

Spent Fri & Sat working with a small team on a handicap accessible home addition for a rural Tennessee family who's father has suffered a stroke, and has difficulty getting in, out and around their current home. We framed in and decked a 26' x 27' floor, added a wall to two others in another already completed floor section, and got 6 roof trusses up before we lost daylight.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

We went camping for the final weekend of the season. I love to go in the fall and this is the second year we've done three weekends in October. Now will be time to get going on some woodworking projects again as I have 1-2 to get done before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Good Morning
    22 Oct 2007 and raining

My toughest battle in the past 7 days has been my giving up tobacco. Today marks 1 week since I've had any tobacco at all.

What dod YOU do this past weekend?????

Best of weeks to you all.
    Congrats Dennis, you're at least past the nicotine, now for the continuous battle with cravings, triggers, and just good memories associated with the habit (because you'll forget most of the crappy ones). Funny, I'm on my 21st day of quitting after spending the last 17 years (minus one year where I did quit previously) using dip (da Bear and Cope). So cheers and good on ya mate... you are not alone, and you are not the only one who craves it every 5 minutes of every waking hour. If you want to read some amusing dialogue on the subject, go to killthecan.org. There's a whole bunch of other guys like you and me, and the discourse is less than professional and funny as all get out sometimes.

Cheers! ~Jay
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

As I had hoped, I enjoyed a "nothing planned" weekend, seems like I may have maybe 2 of these a year. I did however start the re-finishing of a couple of rockers and swing for my boys, and then went to my neighbors wedding Saturday. The LOML and I baby sat our grandson Saturday night and our son and DIL came over for lunch Sunday.........overall a GREAT weekend!!!!
    David

Not sure if I should be telling y'all this or not.

My weekend started out doing some refinish sanding on a walnut, hanging, china cupboard/display. It is my moms and is nearing 50 years old. Once finished it will go a wall in the house.

Now here's the part your all probably gonna laugh at. Sunday I put up our Christmas lights. Well, the ones under the eaves anyway. Still got some more to put up at a later date, but those can all be done on the ground, no ladder needed.

See it was 70 degrees and sunny. My little pea brain said "Do you want to put up Christmas lights today when it's nice or wait until around Thanksgiving and take your chances with the weather?" Pea brain said TODAY dummy. I think I was pretty smart. Now I got to figure out if I can leave the lights up until May?

Glad you're feeling better Ken.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Geeze Karl, already??????
    Don't suppose you'd want to come put ours up would ya?

I thought it was required to be about 28 degree's, sleeting, snowing, rainning, windy, and generally not very nice out when you put that stuff up????

Don't sweat it kid, the guy down the block put his lights up about 15 years ago and just leaves them off during the summer, made the mistake of nailing them to the eves.... he says.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Blog Entries
    I had a really good weekend! I went over to fellow-creeker Lester Gillett's workshop and took his Powermatic 54A off his hands. It looks great in my shop-to-be right next to the space where my future planer will be...

Then I dropped off a huge load of outgrown kids clothes to Big Brother/Big Sisters down the road. Good for some heaven points and earthly tax deductions.

Afterwards, I gave the LOML a backrub and...oops, better stop right there...
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup View Post
    Now here's the part your all probably gonna laugh at. Sunday I put up our Christmas lights. Well, the ones under the eaves anyway. Still got some more to put up at a later date, but those can all be done on the ground, no ladder needed.

See it was 70 degrees and sunny. My little pea brain said "Do you want to put up Christmas lights today when it's nice or wait until around Thanksgiving and take your chances with the weather?" Pea brain said TODAY dummy. I think I was pretty smart. Now I got to figure out if I can leave the lights up until May? Karl

Karl, you are a sick man---it isn't Halloween yet!!!

Yes, I see your logic, but even in Minnesota in November you have days that aren't cold/blustery/rainy/snowy, I guess.

But I guess I can't talk -- the last year we were in Virginia, we didn't take the Christmas lights down off the house until we were packing up to move---in August. I think that was also the year that my sister sent our gifts to us in August!!

Nancy (60 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php