Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milling a Walnut Tree - Help Bob Smalser and Others

Cut and milled a tree Thursday ...

but it wasn't the Walnut. The FOMFIL wanted the Walnut and a Cedar tree removed. So we took down the Cedar and slabbed it and cut some bowl blanks. Didn't have time (or energy) to start on the Walnut, so we rescheduled for 09Nov.

Please keep the advice coming til then. It's been helpful.

1st Cedar Bench for the Homeowner

Here's a bench from cedar tree. We start on the Walnut tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the cedar is green, I'd keep it outdoors with wax on the end grain for several months.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

The tree was dead, but I don't know for how long. I was surprised the moisture content was <15%. We drenched the plank in Watco (2 coats), then 2 coats of varnish on the top and ends.

The rest of the planks are stickered and stacked in my garage. I sealed the ends with Elmer's white glue.

If it's under 15%, you should be OK. Cedar is pretty stable. I had 30% in mind.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Walnut tree - Fesser called it

Bob Fesser called it - mostly rot.

Will post pictures later today.

Pics

Pic#1 - South side of the tree. We knew we had a rot problem before we felled it. When I cut the largest limb off (see highest stub), the tree shook a little too.

#2 - North side of the tree. Rot extended 2-3-ft into the stump.

#3 - Viewed from the 1st crotch.

#4 - Dan preparing the rip-saw band saw to harvest the only "solid" planks. For those not familiar with the rip-saw, you need a reference for the 1st cut, then it's self registering. The aluminum planks is used to make the reference.

#5 - Lot of punky wood near the right side.

1 more to come...

#6 This pic represents what most of the slabs look like. We hit this one one more time with the rip saw. We ended up with 4, 2-in slabs, and 1, 1-in slab.

The large limbs were about the only pieces which were not rotted.

We did end up digging a little around the stump, making vertical cuts (rips), then crosscutting in to remove the chunks.