Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Might Be A Woodturner If ---

You Might Be A Woodturner If ---

Y'all seem to be more fun than some other forums, so I'll start it here, with apology to Jeff Foxworthy.

You might be a woodturner if:
    Your clean clothes fresh from the clothes dryer have (clean and dry) wood shavings in the pockets.
    Your dirty hair brush contains a few hairs and a lot of wood chips.
    Your shower drain is clogged with wood chips.
    Your pickup has oversize brakes and a quick-release mount for your chain saw.
    Your pickup will automatically drive itself toward the sound of a distant chain saw.
    The largest landscaping feature of your home is a stack of logs of various species.

And some more like that.

You know a wolverine jig isnt a dancing animal.

You brag about how big the pile of chips are on the floor.

You have ever "turned a little" during commercial break when watching tv.

Your spouse is jealous of your time with your lathe.

...and you don't care.

You named all your children Turner.

You post responses to questions like this

................You have to sprinkle sawdust on your food before it tastes right

You wake up, read this and think "THIS is the way to start a good day - LOL)"
    Change One Thing

You know you're addicted to woodturning when.....

You buy a bandsaw that costs more than your lathe... for the sole purpose of rounding out bowl blanks.

You feel this unexplainable emptiness every time you throw a piece of wood in the fire...

You have some really nice power tools in your shop... and you struggle to remember the last time you used them.

You have a hard time finding a pen around the house that isn't made of wood... and you give your wife and kids nasty looks any time they pick up a plastic pen.

Your wife doesn't bother to call around looking for you any more. She just goes out to the shop when she needs you for anything.

You nearly caused a car accident because you thought you saw some logs on the side of the road…

You name your kids “Chuck” and Burl...

You name your dogs “Banjo”, “Jet”, “Oliver”, or “Spalty”

At your spouse’s suggestion, you put a telephone, TV, and refrigerator in your shop... so you don't have to "carry sawdust into the house all day."

You really - honestly - whole-heartedly - are torn between taking that vacation in Hawaii and buying that new big-bad lathe with the 25" swing.

You think that any round or cylindrical household item can - and should - be replaced by something you make... from table legs to the toilet paper roll holder.

You’ve walked around your neighborhood – checking your neighbors’ trees for burls.

Golf clubs? Yeah… they’re around here somewhere.

Heat on in the shop? Absolutely. Heat on in the house? “Go put on a sweater.”

I know where every burl is on trees for 4 or 5 blocks around my house. I even have some identified on the route to school and the library.

Friends call me when they take trees down in the hopes I'll want to harvest the trunk for turning...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

You stop by the tree trimmers place weekly looking through his pile for a new find.

Your wife has given up trying to make you keep the wood chips out of the house.

You will turn instead of watching your favorite team play.

Your wood pile has been accused of taking to much backyard space from the dogs.

When you go into tool stores, you only go to the turning area.

Ohhh and I relate too the one about turning during commercials!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

You can't see the top of your table saw because it holds your bowls and turning tools.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

You go to visit your in-laws and take your Jet Pen Lathe along "cause I have to get ready for a show", but really just to keep from conversation...
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

when you drive cross-country and stop at where they've clear cut a fence row and ask your husband if we can fit this Mesquite stump in with the luggage, sure honey, it'll fit, I know it will! Jude

You Might Be A Woodturner If ---

Thanks, y'all. A bunch of good ones, but many areas still unexplored. We need more help. To follow one of Tyler's-

YMBAWI--you watch the start of a NASCAR race, go turn for a couple or three hours, and come back to watch the end of the race.

your cat thinks you live in the shop building with her, and you just visit the house sometimes.

you get emotional about the best brand of chainsaw.

Your Jet mini goes on vacations with you (just in case).
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Thomas View Post
    You go to visit your in-laws and take your Jet Pen Lathe along "cause I have to get ready for a show", but really just to keep from conversation...
    Now that is a great idea! No, really, I'm serious!!!!!

...you've been around long enough to remember this thread?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=woodturner
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

I remember Raymond...

...but there are some real good new ones here too !

You might be a turner if you always carry a folding pruning saw while hiking just in case there has been some trail work done so you can fit some pieces of wood in your backpack. Not that I've ever done that .

Disclaimer: I have never cut a live tree, I only take what has come down on its own or has been cut by trail crews.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!