Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collection (200-250$ range)

Alex, a 750 CFM machine is a bit underpowered for collecting dust as well as chips. Try to go with something similar to a Jet 1200C (canister model). If you don't at least wear a respirator while you're producing dust (3M half mask models are quite comfortable and fairly inexpensive).

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Shew View Post
    Alex,

I'm in your same boat right now. I want/need a DC for my shop and I've been researching the options. After reading and doing some homework, I just don't think that anything under 2 HP will really cut it for what I want. While a Cyclone would be nice, I'm dealing with a portable unit on my budget. I may roll from tool to tool initially, but I would eventually like to have about a 10' section of rigid pipe with several Y connectors w/ blast gates to flex hose for several tool stations (I have a small shop). From what I've been reading, anything less than 2 HP won't have the CFM that I want past about 4' of flex hose.

I was looking at the Griz 2 HP w/ 2 micron bag, but that would add a franklin to your budget with shipping.
    I don't see why a 1-1/2HP DC would not work. Not sure what you mean by rigid pipe, but 4" PVC Sewer pipe should provide better air flow than 4" hose. My situation is similar to yours! I use the DC as a portable with about 10' of hose for planner, jointer, and table saw. Sure beats any shop vacuum I've ever had! I also have another 10' section of hose for three other machines, that will be replaced with a 10' length of 4" PVC Sewer along the wall, to connect to three different tools with Y's and blast gates.

-Don
    Last edited by Don Stanley; 10-24-2007 at 1:21 AM.

I also got a Delta 50-760 at Lowe's for around $130. I'd call around looking, I saw another one on clearance at my local Lowe's about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=651822

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=594925
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 10-24-2007 at 2:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hyman View Post
    Jon nice score. Where did you get it and do you know if they have anymore?
    It was at the new Lowes on Panola Rd east of Atlanta on I20. I didn't see anymore but who knows.

unfortunately it seems none of the Lowe's in Houston carry the Delta 50-760 model, just the ap400.

I wonder how that PSI stacks up against the 50-760? With shipping it's about $320 which is about the same price as the Delta, which usually ships for free from Amazon.

I have a 50-760 which I got for around $300. The sales that most people talk about only seem to occur at certain stores, and my local Lowes is definitely NOT one of them.

I agree with most folks here, wait for sales or look for used. Theres a Jet in the classifieds for $200. Check woodweb and other places too.

Well, as a follow-up, the best deal looks to be the HF ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 )

That, and then i will buy a wynn cartridge filter to modify it. Now, to be patient.

Where do the 20% HF coupons come from? Any links? newsletters?

Jason,
    The link to the conversion with the Wynn filter shows the CFM at 560 with the new filter, yet the CFM from the HF website list at 1600. Are they referring to an increase in the CFM of with the new filter? I can't understand what they are refering to. ( http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm )

Also, they have this filter now to use, http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm, which, while it may cost more, (and has only 100ft2 as opposed to the 300 on the filter you linked), it is a full polyester filter, so it can be washed and cleaned more easily to last longer.

More thoughts?
    Last edited by alex grams; 11-30-2007 at 1:11 PM.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Harbor Freight. Change the bags. Blah, blah, blah. Works for me thanks to a fellow Creeker.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Jason,
    The link to the conversion with the Wynn filter shows the CFM at 560 with the new filter, yet the CFM from the HF website list at 1600. Are they referring to an increase in the CFM of with the new filter? I can't understand what they are refering to. ( http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm )
    Absolutely put ZERO trust in the numbers any manufacturer reports, first of all. That 1600 is, at best, theoretical. They measure those things with no bags, no ducts, no hose, no restrictions whatsoever to get the best rating possible - and it's usually the split second before the motor blows up. So I'd take the manufacturer's numbers with a grain of salt.

That said ... a friend has the HF collector and when using the stock bags, I was able to feel the airflow. Then he put the cartridge on (he bought the paper one) and we felt the flow. It's imprecise, sure, but we FELT it was MUCH stronger. It was the result we wanted, we didn't care what the numbers were.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Also, they have this filter now to use, http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm, which, while it may cost more, (and has only 100ft2 as opposed to the 300 on the filter you linked), it is a full polyester filter, so it can be washed and cleaned more easily to last longer.
    You're right. The polyester is MUCH stronger, but I'd linked to the paper ones because of your budget constraints. It's lower filter area isn't something I was TOO concerned about because either was WAY more than the bags on my Jet 1100DC. I have the polyester one myself because then I can blow it clear with my air compressor and not worry about poking through it. If you have the funds, by all means go with the poly one

Rick Wynn was the guy I spoke to when I bought mine and he took GREAT care of me and I'm sure he'll take good care of you, too.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com