Thread: One Way scroll chuck question...Finally got one

Question Set screw for Oneway insert?

Well I finally picked up the Oneway scroll chuck. I was going to get the Talon, but the other one was just put on sale and I was able to pick it up with the 1"X8TPI insert for $167. Not too bad... Now for a quick question... I am trying to attach it to my Legacy and it will not tighten all the way, it hits some bolts before it snugs up. I noticed that there is a spot for a set screw, anyone happen to know the threading? and was I supposed to get a set screw in the packaging?

Thanks much,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Ballent; 02-08-2004 at 3:26 AM.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

The set screws are designed to fall into a groove that is routed in the spindle of a OneWay lathe so that you can use the chuck safely when you reverse spindle speed. They may work to lock to your Legacy spindle, although obviously they can easily damage the threading they come in contact with. I don't recall the size (it's metric) but if you go to the OneWay site and hit the customer service email address, they will respond pretty quickly with the information you need. BTW, some of my inserts did not come with the set screws; some did.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks JIm, I will give them a shout. I have heard something about bushings that can be added... Any ideas what those are, or a WWW site that has a pic of what it looks like?

-Michael

Mike,

I don't mean to take this off topic, but could you possibly help me compare the Talon to the chuck you bought? I have been wanting a chuck for my Jet mini, and had pretty much decided on the Talon, but the ~$200 pricetag has kept it out of my reach. If there's a cheaper alternative that's just as good, I'd like to understand it more. Unfortunately, I'm not the most knowledgable on chucks.

Thanks!
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Heck
    Mike,

I don't mean to take this off topic, but could you possibly help me compare the Talon to the chuck you bought? I have been wanting a chuck for my Jet mini, and had pretty much decided on the Talon, but the ~$200 pricetag has kept it out of my reach. If there's a cheaper alternative that's just as good, I'd like to understand it more. Unfortunately, I'm not the most knowledgable on chucks.

Thanks!
    Aaron
    And not to go off topic even further, but how does the talon compare to what you bought and how do they compare to the strong hold? I am planning on getting one shortly, and want to get one that also fits my legacy, keep us posted with what you find out!

-Chris

Chuck for Mini-lathe

Mike,

Thanks!
    Aaron

Aaron,
    Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com) and probably others have a "Nova Compac Chuck" for $95. I really like the SuperNova on my big lathe but was a bit concerned about its weight for my new Jet VS mini so I ordered the Compac. Unfortunately, I don't have the chuck yet (I've got the auxiliary jaws) because it was backordered until 2/7/04. You may want to check it out. Depending on thread specs, it's either PN 142895 or 143231. Others may have a better price but I really haven't checked it out.

Dale T. Ummmm. Am I violating board policy with specifics like this? If so, delete me real quick. Please don't kick me out!!
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

I don't mean to take this off topic, but could you possibly help me compare the Talon to the chuck you bought?
    The do the same thing. But the Talon uses a chuck key to loosen or tighten the jaws--which is a one-handed operation. The scroll chuck uses two "tommy bars" to do that same operation...which for some is a bit cumbersome since you have to manipulate the two bars and the blank simultaneously. The basic scroll chuck is the earlier version of the chuck and simpler in design. They have similar capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pasko
    And not to go off topic even further, but how does the talon compare to what you bought and how do they compare to the strong hold?
    The Stronghold is "like" the Talon but bigger and heavier. The Talon (or the Vicmarc 100 or similar) is the right size for your OneWay 1018 lathe and what I was running on it.

You can see the specifications at the OneWay web site for comparison.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dale,
    Let me know when you get it...I am thinking about getting one for the Jet Mini.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pasko
    And not to go off topic even further, but how does the talon compare to what you bought and how do they compare to the strong hold? I am planning on getting one shortly, and want to get one that also fits my legacy, keep us posted with what you find out!

-Chris
    I talked to the guys at Craft Supplies (the ones from UT) and they claimed they supply all the scroll chucks to Legacy. Drum roll please They (Legacy) order the Nova Original and resell them via the Legacy WWW. That model has the tommy bars... The reason I ended up with the Oneway was that I had 2 gift certs from Rockler, a $10 coupon and it is on sale ($139). Unfortunately they only carry Oneway chucks, the original scroll and the Talon.

My big issue is that the thread insert (1"X8TPI) does not tighted up on spindle before it hits the 2 screws directly behind. These screws appear to hold the bushing the spindle spins in... Looking at some re-engineering to make this work... and I will make this work I will keep all of you posted on the progress... I need to get this working for a project I am working on... tick tock

-Michael