Thread: Wet/Rainy wood

Question Wet/Rainy wood

Hi today the skies let open so hard that the rain penetrated its way around two tarps and onto my wood in its 30 mile journey.It rained hard too.
    I was wondering what anyones thoughts were on this wood getting dry.
    Its 12 foot 4/4 jatoba
    4/4 beech
    3/4 beech ply
    1/2 baltic birch ply

Id say the sheets are only 25% wet each side, I wiped down all pieces with towels.
    I think the jaotba was the most wet.
    I have heat on in garage and its all dry in there.All pieces are sperated from each other or stakced so theres alot of air on the sheets.

Do you think that I may now have a problem staining an finishing these pieces, they still need to planed a bit and they wont get any stain till at least wed thursday next week.I will keeo thge heat on in there more than usual.
    Also the sheets what do you think will they definately expand?

Thanks

My advice would be to make sure that you seal the ends as you let it dry. If you don't have a commercial sealer, I read that you can use latex paint. Last week I purchased some wood that was already wet and I moved it into my garage. After, a few days it split because I did not seal the ends, so I learned my lesson. Also, if you don't have one you should invest in a moisture meter.

BTW, I did not have a commercial sealer on hand so my wood now has its end painted with latex.

Actually rain can have quite a negative affect on wood. Rain contains lots of impurities and contaminates. I have had staining problems after wood got wet. Test how it reacts to stains before you use it.
    Howie.........

In my experience, a little temporary moisture on lumber doesn't have much effect. Dry it off, maybe plane it a tad, wait a week, and go ahead. Temporary moisture on hardwood-veneer plywood may leave discoloration, and will probably raise the grain. Dry it off, wait a week, sand carefully, and go for it.

Thanks,
    Update- The Shop Maple Ply bubbled on the edges on two small sections. Im only making one cabinet door out of it.
    Beech ply so far so good.
    Top moisture on the hardwood im not so worried about.

Thanks

...and oh yeah... moisture on MDF or particle board is the end of it. It will never return to its original shape. You may as well throw it away -- but that's what you should have done before it got wet.

7. The ply is lunched.

Slowly dry the other wood out and it may be fine. take off a 1/16th at a time to insure that it is dry on the inside before expecting to use it on a project. Just did the same thing with wood from another guy and it worked out fine. Good luck.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

I agree with Jamie and Jeff; the plywood is toast.

The jatoba and beech will probably move a little, but should be stable and dry after a couple weeks.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    ...and oh yeah... moisture on MDF or particle board is the end of it. It will never return to its original shape. You may as well throw it away -- but that's what you should have done before it got wet.
    MDF & Particle board? When was that mentioned?