Thread: Michael's Cherry Stain

Michael's Cherry Stain

A few years ago I purchased a stain called Michael's #12 Cherry Stain from Restoration Hardware. They don't sell it anymore and I am in need of more. Can anyone tell me who might sell this stain. I have also noticed that on some of the Amish woodworking sites that they use a Michael's Cherry stain. Is this the same stain that I purchased from Restoration Hardware? Does anyone know where I can purchase it??
    Any help will be appreciated.

I am completely unfamiliar with this particular stain. But it's likely that you could go to a good paint store with a sample and have them color match the stain. Not likely to duplicate the look, since stains may have mixes of dye and pigment that just getting the color right will reproduce, but it might be a good starting place. You might also call, or write, some of the Amish furniture places and ask to their chief finisher. I was going to say call, but for the actual amish woodworkers this might not be possible. But the retail go between might be able to get you closer to the information.

Roy, "Michael's Cherry" wood stain is an actual stain color, rather than a brand of product. It is a very popular and often used color in not only the Amish woodworking community, but there are many online furniture vendors that offer selections finished in Michael's Cherry. I would try an internet search and see what that yeilds. If you cannot locate the actual product, you could probably get a very close match at a reputable paint store. On the other hand, the product must be available somewhere, because there are many people using it for finishing, even today. Good luck on the search.

Leo
    I have serched the internet and contacted a few furniture vendors but no one is able to sell me the stain. I have also had the local sherman williams try to match the stain and after 4 days they gave up.

It seems that all of the vendors on the internet sell completed furniture and the actual construction and staining is done by someone else.

Been kind of frustraing so far.

Thanks for the input

What did Restoration Hardware have to say? Did you talk with their buyer?

I think you are looking for a stain called "Michael's Cherry" made by Finishworks.

Edit>I know linking is bad, but you might need this if it is okay:
    Finishworks LLC phone: (260)768-3220
    Last edited by Mike Dauphinee; 11-01-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added info

Michael's Stain

I have used stain for the Finish Works ((260) 768-3220) in Shipshewanna, IN.
    I am sure they can help you.