Thread: Stinky blanket chest -- what to do???

Stinky blanket chest -- what to do???

I have a blanket chest made of red oak. I stained the chest, both inside and out, with an oil-based stain (Minwax) and used wipe-on poly on the outside of the chest, but not the inside.

Here's the problem: I've had the chest for 2 years now and everything I keep in there stinks like stain. I've tried leaving it open to "air out" and that does not work.

What can I do here to eliminate the "funk?"

JW

try sealing the inside with Shellac.

I had the same problem. The best thing to do is put on several coats of shellac. This will seal the stain. It is alcohol based and will not leave an odor.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I have a blanket chest made of red oak. I stained the chest, both inside and out, with an oil-based stain (Minwax) and used wipe-on poly on the outside of the chest, but not the inside.

Here's the problem: I've had the chest for 2 years now and everything I keep in there stinks like stain. I've tried leaving it open to "air out" and that does not work.

What can I do here to eliminate the "funk?"

JW
    Ouch!!! Oil stain on inside You will have to seal the inside. I would use shellac. I would brush it myself but you might want to look into an aerosol spray. I believe you can buy a can of aerosol spray at the big box.
    Gary

I need to add more finish to the outside as well. Does it make sense to do the entire thing in shellac, both inside and out?

Also, if I do that, is the shellac compatible with the oil-based poly (fully-cured, of course).

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Ouch!!! Oil stain on inside You will have to seal the inside. I would use shellac. I would brush it myself but you might want to look into an aerosol spray. I believe you can buy a can of aerosol spray at the big box.
    Gary

If you make sure it's dewaxed shellac, it will bond to (almost) anything just fine. Given that Jeff Jewitt says that you can use it as a transition coat between pretty much anything, it won't hurt to put it on over the poly, even on the outside.

I've put it over and under everything I've tried, solvent or water based, and not had a problem to this point.

Buy a can of zinsser Seal Coat at the local Lowes (it can be a little hard to find sometimes). That is a dewaxed super-blonde Shellac that can cover anything and go under any poly. Shellac is one of the only reasonably products that will stop the stink.

I use it to give just a hint of color to soft maple before coating with several coats of water-based poly. It's pretty clear stuff.

Pete

I think using an oil based finish on the inside of a blanket chest is a right of passage for every WW.

I have one.

Most folks have made this, er, mistake at some point.

Shellac will be your cure. Time will heal that wound.

Congrats on earning your stripes.

I lined the inside with cedar strips. It's sold in kits at the big box stores.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Shelac will do the trick just as others have said. There was also a suggestion of getting cedar from big box store. Another good suggestion. I made my bit stinker with a end table made of black walnut with poplar secondary wood. It was several years ago and the draw still smells a little of BLO. That is what I finished the piece with. I keep it that way to remind me every night when I go to sleep and put my glasses in the draw to not use a oil finish on the inside of anything

Good luck sealing out/in the smells of your stripes.

Take care
    Bob O>>

Heck..If you could make the BLO smell like perfume...the money you would save That stuff lasts, and lasts....
    Gary

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Heck..If you could make the BLO smell like perfume...the money you would save That stuff lasts, and lasts....
    Gary
    Even better - how about perfume that smells like BLO - shortcut to any woodworkers heart!

Talking

I can see it now

Forget Obsession (he already has one of those)

Forget Eternity (that how long he has been in the shop)

Forget about Charlie (he owns the hardware store)

Ode du Woodwourkir by Lie Nielsen

A scent that will lure him out of the Shop!

Available at all fine woodworking stores, in pint, quart, gallon sizes.

Yep! The old BLO aroma. Just refinished my workbench top after 10+ years of hard use. Three coats plus paste wax. Maggie came into the shop last night and said "Something smells funny".
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Yep! The old BLO aroma. Just refinished my workbench top after 10+ years of hard use. Three coats plus paste wax. Maggie came into the shop last night and said "Something smells funny".
    Bill
    I know this sounds funny but I like the smell of BLO and it excites me a little because I know that I'm getting to the end of the project.
    Gary