Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get long slot mortising bits for horizontal mortiser?

Where can I get long slot mortising bits for horizontal mortiser?

I purchased a Laguna/Robland NLX-31 combo machine last year and need the long slot mortising bits for the horizontal mortising feature. I have had a hell of a time finding these. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. Laguna has been no help over the past 9 months (surprise!). I do know that the bits need to be left hand rotation, and have a fairly long cutting depth (maybe 2 to 3"). Do any of you have any experience with this attachment and/or the bits for this or any similar machine (i.e. the Felder or MiniMax, etc.)?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks.

Don,
    Interesting since Laguna sells slot mortise bits. I know they do because I have purchased some from them. Have you talked with Rick?

Other alternatives are:
    Morris Wood Tools at http://www.morriswoodtool.com/
    Felder
    MiniMax
    Onsrud

Hope this helps.
    Steve

I have bought them from MiniMax and Laguna. Also Osrud makes good ones and sells them direct
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi Steve and Mark

Thanks for the info... I think the issue with Laguna is that they can't supply Left hand slot mortising bits (eventhough they sold them to me 9 months ago!) they claim they are on back order and admit that there is little chance of getting them any time soon. They buy from Leitz tooling, so I called them direct and they can not even get me the left hand long slot mortising bits that they supplied to Laguna at one point. A couple of guys I have talked to are looking into making them (Schmidt), but I'd love to find a place that has them in stock. When did you guys buy yours from Laguna, and are they left hand rotation? I think I might try to call Rick on Monday. I also have talked with Morris Wood Tool, and Onsrud yesterday.

I will try MiniMax and Felder. Thanks, Don

I have no idea if this is possible, but you might look into putting a reversing switch on your motor and reverse it when using the mortiser. That way you could use right hand bits.

If you did do that, you'd have to be very careful to make sure the motor is running in the right rotation when using the other tools.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, a reversing switch would likely be a mighty complicated thing on a combo machine...and not just electrically.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don,
    It's been several years since I purchased them from Laguna and they are right hand rotation. Good luck with your search.
    Steve

On my X31 I have a reverse switch for the mortis attachement. When I bought mine some 12 years ago it came with the mortis bits. they were nothing more than long Freud router bits. I have used them and they work fine. I also use them in my router table as well.

Good Luck

Alan

You might try Bentz.
    http://www.bentzdirect.com/
    We have a Grigio slot moritser, and needed a 3/4" end mill, with a total length of 5", with a 1/2" drive shaft. They made us two, for a very large door project. I have found them to be knowledgable, and suspect that they make, or can make, left hand cutters.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thanks again everyone. Reversing the motor is a great idea, but I agree with Jim it would be very complicated on this combo machine because the same motor runs the jointer and planer. I'll try Bentz on Monday...I need much the same as you Alan...a sizable bit for making relatively deep mortises.

Thanks again for the info. Don

AMANA: http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/45540.html
    Trend UK: http://www.tools247.co.uk/Reciprocat...t_currency=USD
    The Trend works in both directions and it's in MM dimensions.

I use a Whiteside Stagger bit in my slot mortiser

I have a MM mortiser on my planer and purchased the reverse bits from them.

Felder sell this set of bird mouth bits. I've been happy with them and they don't care which direction the turn.

Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Steve already suggested Morris Wood Tool, but here is a more specific link

www.morriswoodtool.com/Tooling-Misc.htm

Specifically see the 6HS series of bits, which work in either direction

I hear Onsrud has stopped making them, but can't confirm.

This old post was bumped. I recently bought long bits from Felder, which I did not like, and leitz from Laguna, which are a thing of beauty. They had them in stock and shipped quickly. Onsrud still has the 24-000 series birds mouth last I looked but these are rather short (2 1/4" depth of cut?) though I like them for everything for which they will work as they cut great and are very inexpensive.