Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open end Drum sander Purchase

Question Open end Drum sander Purchase

I decided a few months ago to purchase an open end drum sander. During research I determined that dust collection was a must, so that came first. I am planning to purchase a sander around the end of this year and thought I'd get some opinions along with my research. To put some framework around this question, I was originally interested in the Performax/Jet 16-32" model but since the 22-44" is only about $150 more it seems to make more sense. After all $800 for a sander doesn't make sense unless, like me, you're trying to make the most of your hobby time and minimize the least desirable tasks. Then I came across the Delta 18-36". A lot of bad press and the idea that the support surface moves instead of the drum, makes it a less desirable option. Later I found Steel City and Orion models that move the support surface as well. Today I found a Dayton sander at Grainger (Model 1FYV7 atalog page 2632) which also moves the support surface rather than the drum. It seems that Jet stands alone in thier design apporach.

I would like to hear from users/owners of:
    • Jet/Performax
    • Delta
    • steel city
    • Orion
    • Grizzley?
    • Dayton
    What do you like and hate about your sanders? Do you see any inherent advantages/problems to moving table vs. moving drum for thickness adjustment? Any other design flaws? I'll start:
    • The Jet/Perfromax has been around for a while with good reviews.
    • The construction is both sturdy and simple so it should be durable.
    • The moving drum means that infeed/outfeed support would be a simpler one time set up.
    • 22-44" capacity is the largest in the $800-$1000 price range.
    • Jet has improved the feed rate control and feed belt tracking
    The 22-44" with the open standseems to me to be the optimal choice. However, I have not used any of these sanders.

I'm ready for the onslaught...
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 10-27-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gary

Gary:

I don't want to hijack your thread, but could we also include any feedback on the Sand-Flea? I've been lead to believe that this might be a viable alternative to a drum sander. Thanks.

Thought on drum sanders

Hi Steve

I have a Performax 16-32. I looked at the Sand Flea at a woodworking show. I wouldn't regard the Sand Flea as equivalent. The Sand Flea has its place, but it will not provide uniform thickness like a drum sander will, just sand a surface. In terms of stock thicknessing, I might think of the sand flea as a jointer, a drum sander as a planer. No, a drum sander will not remove stock as quick as a planer but a drum sander will provide repeatable and uniform thickness, a sand flea-type sander will not. Another use of the drum sander is working with gnarly stock with knots and swirly grain. A sander will not create divots like a planer will.

Here's an interesting alternative to the sand flea:
    http://nicks.ca/Toolkits.html#sander1

HTH

Curt
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    Gary:

I don't want to hijack your thread, but could we also include any feedback on the Sand-Flea? I've been lead to believe that this might be a viable alternative to a drum sander. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    ... A sander will not create divots like a planer will.
    Au contrair mon ami. My 16-32 will happily sand a divot if I try to take too much in one pass and the feed stalls. Other than that, I'm in agreement. I think the marketing term of "abrasive planing" that they toss about is a bit of a falacy. Yeah, you can do it, but after one time you'll never want to again. Planing to within about 1/16" of the final thickness then switching to the drum sander works pretty well.

Gary
    98% of the time I've used mine has been on short or medium length stuff. I've got the added infeed/outfeed tables and haven't needed extra roller stand supports most of the time, but would think that the moving table would drive me bonkers in those cases where I need them. Dust collection has been pretty fair even just hooked up to a shop-vac, though dust that falls on the feed belt will get dumped off onto the floor when it goes over the roller. Haven't gotten the machine hookup for mine done yet since I put my cyclone in but expect it to be better. Unless you can swing a wide belt sander, I think the 16-32 is probably the best option out there.
    Use the fence Luke

I really like my Performax 16/32. It's a bit finicky to get set up the first time, but once "dialed in" is pretty painless. The hard part is getting the drum parallel to the feed belt, and by "parallel", I actually mean with the open end ever so slightly higher than the closed end. This is to avoid sanding a ridge into a panel with the outer edge of the drum when doing something wider than 16". For the cost difference, you are probably wise to go with the 22/44. I just happened to run into a local killer deal on the 16/32 and got it for around $600 new including sales tax. (Stealth gloat.) It has saved me many hours of one part of woodworking I really don't enjoy very much.

Thumbs up Great stealth move

Brad,
    Nice move! For $600 I would snatch up a 16-32" too, but for a difference of just $150-$200 I figure that it is well worth it. Any suggestions on where to buy?
    Doug,
    Did you buy the optional infeed/outfeed tables or make your own? If you bought them, do you think it's worth it? Did you buy locally? Performance Line Tools seem to be competitive. I could have gotten a 22-44" for $850 in August, but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger.

So, only Jet/Performax users out there?
    Gary

gary, i have the delta and i confess i'm not happy with the table at all, but i tolerate it because i rarely move it more than an inch. if i had it to do over again i'd probably buy the jet. it was a question of money when i got my sander and amazon was giving a free router or sander or 50 bucks off or somethin i cant remember.
    hope this helps!
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Thanks Brad. I appreciate the candid response.
    Gary

I have the Performax 22-44 and just love it.

Pros: It was dead on flat on set up and I have not had to adjust it at all in a the first year of use. With a rough grit it can flatten slabs (slowly) or put the 220 on the drum and get it one sanding from finishing. HUGE time saver.

Cons: Getting the paper tight takes practice. Make sure your infeed and outfeed tables are perfect or you can get dips / divots.

I Highly recommend this sander. Especially if you do slabs or anything larger than 22"

Gary
    I actually got mine at Rockler in Royal Oak many years ago. They were having a special with the infeed/outfeed tables included plus 4 boxes of sandpaper. The only thing extra I had to buy was the caster set (VERY good quality casters BTW). Unless you make your own extensions I think you'd better plan on the cost of the tables. I personally wouldn't want to run the unit without them. I haven't looked at Performance Line's prices but they're usually some of the best local prices.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    Brad,
    Nice move! For $600 I would snatch up a 16-32" too, but for a difference of just $150-$200 I figure that it is well worth it. Any suggestions on where to buy?
    No suggestions on where to buy. It's extremely rare to see much of a discount on these. I looked everywhere and they were all pretty much the same price. I finally got lucky when a local Farm & Fleet was closing them out and knocked $200 off the price. There was also a $100 factory rebate on at the time.

I really appreciate everone's responses. They seem to reflect the research I've found, here and elsewhere.
    Doug,
    I've heard the casters are great and mixed responses on the in/out-feed supports. They're not as expensive as they used to be, so as a result probably worth the bolt on and go convenience to get started.

I think the 22" capacity will be more of an asset to me from the 16-22" aspect of a single pass sanding as opposed to the 32-44" increase in capacity. Guiding a 40" piece like a table or door does not appear to be easy.
    Gary

i purchased a Ryobi 16-32 on craigslist $150 it works great but light passes are a must. Anyone have any ideas where I might find infeed/outfeed tables for this sander? Ryobi no longer makes it but it is identicle to Steel City's in every way.

nate

Unless you use something (their extensions, homemade ones, or roller stands) I think sanding snipe on the board ends is a real probability with things much longer than a couple feet. There's not that much room on the conveyor table before you're into the drum. If you've got unsupported weight tipping the ends up, you'll end up sanding more off there.
    Use the fence Luke

Gary:

I have had the 16-32 Preformax for four years now and love it. It is a great addition to the shop. Remember, it is not a planer. You need to take very light passes when sanding and it is not a finish sander. You can not run stock thru the drum sander and take it to the finishing room or table. I never go above 150 grit. Most of the time I have 100 grit on the drum and final sand with a random orbit sander. The drum sander will leave lines and grooves. It is the nature of a drum sander. I recommend that you purchase the in-feed and out-feed tables when you purchase your sander, they are a must.
    I am in the process of replacing my conveyor belt which is starting to seporate at the seam. Living in the desert south west, sanding belts tend to seporate at the seams with age due to the heat. When and if you get the preformax, you will need to keep an eye on the belt (conveyor belt) and adjust it periodically to keep it centered on the rollers.
    Would I buy it again, Yes in a minute.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 10-28-2007 at 7:00 PM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"