Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inlaid dovetails - video tutorial, NOT photo tutorial

Inlaid dovetails - video tutorial, NOT photo tutorial

Some of you will remember the boxes that I submitted to a Silent Auction at our daughter's church. They did very well at the auction, as the bids were nice and generous. The following is a photo of the two, originally posted in earlier threads here and also here:

A few people were interested in a tutorial on HOW to make these, and my reply at the time was that I would post a photo tutorial at some point.

As luck would have it, the photo tutorial was a good idea, at the time. But I have come up with a video tutorial, featuring yours truly! What a humbling experience this has been...

So, if you are interested in HOW to make boxes with inlaid dovetails, please take a look at my blog. I have posted Parts 1 (The Basics) and 2 (Cutting Tails & Pins). Part 3 will show the cutting of the pin sockets in the walnut, thus creating the inlay.

I hope you will enjoy the videos. Please let me know - thanks for looking!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al,

I only had a chance to watch the first 7 minutes or so of the video. I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of your presentation and editing.

I recently acquired a Leigh D4 Jig and I plan on visiting your site for more education when I get started using the jig.

Thank you for taking the time to produce the tutorial.

BTW - love the leaf-peeping photos. I live in North Texas - no leaf-peeping.

TJ

Thanks, Teresa. Glad you liked it. Part 3 should be finished in the next week or so, I hope.

Some people think the learning curve on the D4 is steep, while others do very well with it in just a short time. You will like working with it! Post away if you have any questions, though; also, the manual for the jig is superb, so get familiar with it as well.

Leaf-peeping - I chuckled, since I had never heard the expression. The colors are truly fantastic now, so I must get out and capture more before they are gone. I just love the Fall!!!

Al

Al, thank you so much, this is just what I was looking for. I have PC jig and I can adjust the spacing on the pins and tails. I guess I need to get a different jig, I have been thinking about that anyway.

I also see you are in St. Jo.... I was raised in Nashua about 6 miles south of Smithville its KC now. That is a great area and I still get back home every now and then. My sister still lives there (Raytown), my Dad past away in Feb. and I still have to get back and my sister and I have to do some more cleaning out of the old house.

Very, very impressive. Can the videos be downloaded?

Thanks

SB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Al, thank you so much, this is just what I was looking for. I have PC jig and I can adjust the spacing on the pins and tails. I guess I need to get a different jig, I have been thinking about that anyway...
    You are welcome, Bill.

I am not sure I am reading your post properly. Does the PC jig have adjustable spacing? Or did you mean to say that it does NOT? If the latter, and you cannot adjust the spacing, then you are stuck, as far as doing inlaid dovetails goes.

...I also see you are in St. Jo.... I was raised in Nashua about 6 miles south of Smithville its KC now. That is a great area and I still get back home every now and then. My sister still lives there (Raytown), my Dad past away in Feb. and I still have to get back and my sister and I have to do some more cleaning out of the old house.
    Cool! I am familair with that part of KC, Bill.

I give you my condolences on your Dad's passing. Give me a call when you are in the area (send me a PM with your phone number when you know when you are coming). You are welcome to come visit the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    Very, very impressive. Can the videos be downloaded?...
    Thanks, Steven.

Yes, you can download them. There are download links on the posts, just above the image representing the video. You can select either QuickTime, of Flash format.

Al

Great. They are simple wonderful. You have a talent.

I guess it is fair to say you are sold on the Leigh?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navas View Post
    You are welcome, Bill.

I am not sure I am reading your post properly. Does the PC jig have adjustable spacing? Or did you mean to say that it does NOT? If the latter, and you cannot adjust the spacing, then you are stuck, as far as doing inlaid dovetails goes.

Cool! I am familair with that part of KC, Bill.

I give you my condolences on your Dad's passing. Give me a call when you are in the area (send me a PM with your phone number when you know when you are coming). You are welcome to come visit the shop!

Well I guess when you leave the n't off of can't it does change the meaning a little. I was looking at new jigs today and I am planning to get one after I get my new camera. So sometime after the first of the year I will be hounding you with tons of questions..

Again thanks very much for all the effort on putting the videos together, it helps a lot.

Thanks Al. I appreciate your work as well as the fact that you have taken the time to explain the process in a way that even a hack sawdust maker like myself can easily understand.

I downloaded both videos last night and was able to watch the first before I had to hit the hay. I plan on watching the other later this evening and I am certain I will go back to them often as a refference.

Keep up the inspiring work.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    Great. They are simple wonderful. You have a talent.

I guess it is fair to say you are sold on the Leigh?
    Thanks for such nice words, Steven! And YES, I am sold on the Leigh. In shopping around several years ago, I decided that I needed the best flexibility that my wallet could take . It has turned out to be a good decision, too.

Well I guess when you leave the n't off of can't it does change the meaning a little. I was looking at new jigs today and I am planning to get one after I get my new camera. So sometime after the first of the year I will be hounding you with tons of questions..

Again thanks very much for all the effort on putting the videos together, it helps a lot.
    Bill,

You are most welcome! I am glad I asked you to confirm what I thought you said earlier.

Yes, sometimes we find out after-the-fact that we might want to try something that a tool we have just won't do. I can tell you I have made some decisions that resulted in tool replacements at a later time... We ALL have, at one time or another, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stueve View Post
    Thanks Al. I appreciate your work as well as the fact that you have taken the time to explain the process in a way that even a hack sawdust maker like myself can easily understand.

I downloaded both videos last night and was able to watch the first before I had to hit the hay. I plan on watching the other later this evening and I am certain I will go back to them often as a reference.

Keep up the inspiring work.
    Craig
    Oh, it is words of encouragement, like yours, that keeps pushing me. At my age, I need a push, as my wife would tell you, Craig .

Please remember, though, that the process I describe might not be applicable to all dovetail jigs. So, get to know your jig, and proceed from there.

Thanks again!

Al

Al,

I Have viewed the first two videos and looking very forward to the third video. Thanks for the detail in the instructions. At some point I have to purchase a dovetail jig. I had ruled out the need for a leigh jig, but your video has made me rethink my decision. Have a great day.

Excellent job Al … I’ve book marked your blog and will be referring to it often. Thanks for the effort.

Brian

Beautiful work Al. And I'm still trying to get the time to run north and see you in action. Keep up the good work. If ever over at Nebraska Furniture Mart, look me up too.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Wink

Watched the videos. Very impressed. Any idea when you will be done with the 3rd video.

I think videos are great with woodworking. Much easier to understand that words alone.

Have book marked you blog. It's great.

How to see video 3 soon.

Steve Bolton

Are the bottoms of the boxes made out of solid wood? Can they expand and contract.

Hope more videos are on the way.

Steve Bolton