Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Bandsaw Buying Experince

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Great looking saw, but where are the pics of it slicing some wood? When you get time let us know how it works for you.

On somewhat of a related topic, i've been monitoring some of the ... sad ... furnature manufacturing shops going out of business and have any of you considered any of the really big old iron bandsaws? I know they are typically three phase and the weigh a ton but besides that are there any major disadvantages?

John, congratulations on your new saw. I've seen those over at Eagle. Perhaps your saw has some drool marks that I made. Maybe some day.

I have to say that my buying experience with Eagle Tools was fantastic. Yes, they were a little slow to respond to emails, but everything was first class. Jesse even gave me my own personal demonstration of the SawStop before I bought one from them. Sure I paid full price just like everyone else. They threw in service and paid for part part of the home delivery that must have been worth quite a bit. Everything was checked out including all tolerances and I even got to see the spec sheet attached to the saw before I bought it. Jesse had his staff place the saw on the HTC mobile base that I selected and made all the necessary adjustments before it was delivered. My charge for the delivery -- liftgate truck backed right up to my garage, lowered the saw and the driver placed exactly where I wanted it -- was $50. The actaul bill said $198. Phil is right, Jesse really knows tools. He's a great person to deal with as well. If I was going to purchase a major tool, such as a large band saw, for my shop, Eagle Tools would be my first stop. Most likely it would be my last stop as well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

John, congrats on your saw. Looks like a good one. Glad you're happy with your choice - thats all that really matters.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Congrats on your saw

It looks like a great tool.
    Re Laguna - I bought a Laguna 14se about 4 years ago. (very happy with it). I delt with Karl Knapp. My sales experience was very positive. Nothing like the tactics some other posters mentioned.
    Dave

I have had a few days more to play with the saw and all is still good. Mostly just making cuts to a line. This weekend I will put on the 3/4 carbide blade and try to push the resaw limits to see how well it does.

As for Eagle tools, Ken I hate that they didn't get back to you before you felt that you needed to shop else where. However I know that the MM16 is a great saw! I am sure you are happy. I know I would be Even though they were slow on the follow up calls and emails I did get the feeling that they were very busy evertime I called. I just kinda figured that was a good thing if they have that large of a customer base. They must be doing thing right! Also it is the only power tool I haven't had to spend a couple of hours cleaning and assembling. It was really cool that it was ready to run right out of the crate.

A few more pics including the shop right after i got finished with the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have had the 20" Aggazani for years and love it! Jesse is a great guy and I have bought lots of machinery from him. You will really enjoy using the saw....I still believe they are the best out there!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    On somewhat of a related topic, i've been monitoring some of the ... sad ... furnature manufacturing shops going out of business and have any of you considered any of the really big old iron bandsaws? I know they are typically three phase and the weigh a ton but besides that are there any major disadvantages?
    Morning Bob..

I kept an eye out for and old iron BS before jumping on a Steel City 18" with rebate. I had a chance to pick up a Tannewitz 36" BS being sold by a small furniture manufacturer in Arkansas was going out of business. I have always drooled over that saw....

$2600 was a great price but.... it would have cost over a thousand to get it picked up and delivered. Then I would have to manuever it into place on my own at my shop. 2000 + lbs. is not easy to manuever even with lots of help.

A saw that size and weight pretty much becomes stationary once you find a home on your floor space. If.... if... if.. you have the floor space to dedicate it too from the git-go. Then throw in the conversion from 3 phase you metioned before you can use it.

So... nice thoughts for us old iron lovers to day-dream about as a center-piece... but there are some problems that come with docking a "battle-ship"!

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    Did any of you guys look at the Hammer N4400? I've seen a couple of reviews in foreign publications (one UK and one Aussie) that gave it good marks.
    Hey Dick, I've been eyeing this saw up the last couple of weeks and just noticed that they have updated the wheels to cast iron from Alum. and upped the motor to 5.5 HP, all for ~$1700. That and it is made by ACM (same mothership that makes the upper end Lagunas), definitely makes this saw a consideration - a pretty good bang for the buck.

There is an Aussie forum as well as the Felder Owners Group on yahoo! with many positive reviews.

D