Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New wood hauling truck from Belgium

Love to see the look on the repair guys face when you take it to the local Benz dealer for an oil change.

I'd love to see the look on the service writer's face when you pop into the local Benz dealer for an oil change and new wiper blades. Oh, could you adjust the parking break while you're at it?

Lou,
    As an avid 4 wheeler I must say... YOU SUCK! When I come up that way again we'll have to pit the Land Rover up against it. But I don't think I have a chance. Nice score. They are quite impressive vehicles.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    A set of 21” low profile tires with polished aluminum wheels would really send it over the top!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    A set of 21” low profile tires with polished aluminum wheels would really send it over the top!
    Believe it or not, I saw a set of wheels in last months Issue of "Truckin" that are 30" !!!I dont understand the reasoning behind all these different /large wheels. I personallyfeel the 20's are about the limit of staying in a reasonable
    look /aesthetics. Tire costs are way out there when you get beyond 20's as well......gotta have their bling I reckon.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Diz View Post
    Ok, how does that perform on the highway?

I'm guessing you had to import that yourself?
    the unimogs are slow moving vehicles that perfer a maximum of ~ 45 mph down hill. But they excell on secondary roads and dirt roads. they ride like a lincon town car, no kidding, really smooth.

Lou.....You always do things in a big way! And you've done it again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby View Post
    That looks like serious fun. Just looking at it tho....how do you get into the cab? Looks like along way up and a fender sorta in the way.What kind of rpm at 60'ish mph? Top speed?Right hand drivers position?Diesel/gas mileage?...of course, I'll bet its one of those, If you have to ask, you cant afford it things.And lastly, where do you find these and did you import it?
    good questions. getting into the cab is accomplished by stepping on the round wheel step on the front wheel, and then swinging your other leg up into the cab. it is not for the out of shape, that is for sure. the tires on the unimog are ~ 41" tall, so that give you some idea of the cab height.

top speed is ~ 45 in my opinion, some will push is faster, but they are screaming above 45. left hand drive, gas 6 cylinder over head cam engine.
    Last edited by lou sansone; 10-31-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: mistake in driving side

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Now that's a truck.
    You are going to make all the Hummer snobs soooo jealous.
    well the truth is that these will out perform most any hummer, and those guys know it but do not like to admit it. the hummer will definitly travel faster than the mog, but has no were the ground clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo View Post
    Lou,
    As an avid 4 wheeler I must say... YOU SUCK! When I come up that way again we'll have to pit the Land Rover up against it. But I don't think I have a chance. Nice score. They are quite impressive vehicles.
    hi steve
    yea I remember you drove a LR when you visited. landrover does have a very impressive FC101, that is quite capable. have you ever seen one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Lou.....You always do things in a big way! And you've done it again!
    hi ken
    the thing I really love about the mog is how it is engineered. this basic design was done in the 50's and it is still the most capable off road vehicle made. the modern unimogs still use all of the basic designs that were developed back then. it just amazes me how well thought out these machines were.

the other really interesting thing is that when you are driving one of these trucks you are actually driving a very sophisticated military tactical vehicle. it is a really cool experience. 99% of the folks who see me in the truck wave and smile. it is a happy truck and that makes me feel good.

Lou,
    Very Cool truck!!. Since you are not needing the F350 I'll take it off you hands

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone View Post
    good questions. Right hand drive, gas 6 cylinder over head cam engine.
    Hmmmm, guess those weren't Mogs I remembered seeing when I lived in Belgium, if the Mog is right hand drive. (Gotta admit that I didn't really pay much attention to the military while I was there though).
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

That's quite a power tool! Looks like it will be quite useful as well as a blast to drive. By definition the ultimate power tool.

Thanks for sharing the story and pics with us.

Unimog

Lou,

How are you doing. I love the individualism.. Very cool! I'm a motorcycle guy also and if anyone has seen the movie with Ean McGregor and his buddy Charlie something it is a movie about going around the world on motorcycles. Anyway when they were in Mongolia and other parts of Russia there support teams used Unimogs to tranport their bikes across some unbelievabe terrain. The movie is call Long Way Around. It is truely a great adventure movie. Very long about 5 hrs.

Congrats on the new addition. Some grocery getter.

Ben