Thread: Unisaw fence

Unisaw fence

Looking for a recommendation for a fence for my Unisaw. I currently have the old style Delta fence that is no good. The only one I know of are Biesemeyer but there must be others that work well too.

I really like the Bies I just put on my new saw, but I really like the Delta Unifence too. Either are great fences. You MIGHT be able to find one of the Lowes Bies clearance fences somewhere, but more than likely the "entrepenuers" (sp?) have grabbed them all and are selling them on Craigslist or ebay. Look in the SMC classifieds first, then try the other two.

I like the Biessemeyer also, I have its clone on my General and am very happy with it........Rod.

There was a run on Biesemeyers at Lowe's stores down here a couple of months ago because they were blowing them out at $80 a piece (down from the original $400). That was for the commercial model with 30" capacity to the right of the blade.

If you have Lowe's up in Canada, you might get lucky.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    Looking for a recommendation for a fence for my Unisaw. I currently have the old style Delta fence that is no good. The only one I know of are Biesemeyer but there must be others that work well too.

+1 for the Biesemeyer. I put a 50" on my 1956 Unisaw. Works great, very accurate and it fit the Unisaw without having to drill any holes.
    Last edited by Paul Gatti; 10-31-2007 at 3:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    There was a run on Biesemeyers at Lowe's stores down here a couple of months ago because they were blowing them out at $80 a piece (down from the original $400). That was for the commercial model with 30" capacity to the right of the blade.

If you have Lowe's up in Canada, you might get lucky.

JW
    The closest Lowes for me would be in Upper New York State or in Vermont. So it might be a day trip to venture there is hopes of finding a fence at a good price.

I put the 52" Shop Fox Classic on my 1970 Uni. The only thing I didn't like about it was the magnifying pointer so I made my own. I was in Woodcrafters the other othe day and played with the Steel City fence. It is the smoothest fence I have ever operated. If I had the money I would have bought one of those.

The closest Lowes for me would be in Upper New York State or in Vermont. So it might be a day trip to venture there is hopes of finding a fence at a good price.
    Chris,
    I don't have the Lowe's item number handy, but if you do a search on the bies fence on here, you can find it. The run was a couple months ago, so you might want to call and give the item number over the phone to check their stock before making a day trip. Of course, if you're just in the mood for a day trip for any reason, then have fun!

I needed a little more versatility than my Unifence offered. I bought a replacement fence from Peachtree that fits onto the existing Unifence hardware. You don't even have to recalibrate the indicator as it is a perfect match.

You can attach auxillary fences and board buddies. I liked it so much, I even bought the short piece of fence to use for making cutoffs.

Only thing, it still doesn't grab onto a back rail like some woodworkers like. Works out fine for me. Here is the link:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/uni_t_fence.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Chung View Post
    I needed a little more versatility than my Unifence offered. I bought a replacement fence from Peachtree that fits onto the existing Unifence hardware. You don't even have to recalibrate the indicator as it is a perfect match.

You can attach auxillary fences and board buddies. I liked it so much, I even bought the short piece of fence to use for making cutoffs.

Only thing, it still doesn't grab onto a back rail like some woodworkers like. Works out fine for me. Here is the link:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/uni_t_fence.htm
    I am using the same combination,I feel it is the best of both worlds. I like the unifence because it can slide back to make repetitive cuts.

Lowes Stock Numbers

The Lowes stock number for the Biesemeyer fence is 237671 and the Lowes stock number for the Unifence is 237666. Before you make a day trip, you should call and ask if they have them in stock and the price they are charging.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Chung View Post
    Only thing, it still doesn't grab onto a back rail like some woodworkers like. Works out fine for me.
    I clamp mine to the table on the back edge, if I need it rock solid

13. If you have a Jet Lock fence and it just not locking properly, there is a rubber bushing in there that needs to be replaced. It costs just a dollar or two and it will work like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit Hodges View Post
    If you have a Jet Lock fence and it just not locking properly, there is a rubber bushing in there that needs to be replaced. It costs just a dollar or two and it will work like new.
    The fence still locks properly but the main problem is that is does not slide smoothly. It seems to be a struggle into position each time. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about that problem.

The fence still locks properly but the main problem is that is does not slide smoothly. It seems to be a struggle into position each time. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about that problem.
    Try paste waxing the table top and the rails and inside the fence where it slides on the rails. I do this to my field saws and they work very slick. You might need to apply the wax with 000 or 0000 steel wool to get the best result. Let us know if this helps.
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.