Thread: Painting anodized aluminum

Painting anodized aluminum

I recently took a small sign job, and quoted an anodized aluminum base. I was figuring on just using vinyl letters. Then the customer asked if the sign could be painted instead. No problem I said. Fortunately I did a test first and found the paint pulls off the aluminum. Is it possible to paint anodized, and if so is any paint better, or is some kind of surface prep needed?

Thanks
    George

"The more I learn, the less I know."

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

I had that problem once, and was told to use an etching primer first, so I bought a rattle can of it from an automotive paint supplier and it worked. If I remember correctly I used Krylon over it, but it should work for most paints.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe, I'll get some this afternoon. Did you spray the entire sheet or apply the stencil first and only spray the areas to be painted?
    George

"The more I learn, the less I know."

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

I sprayed the whole sheet.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Anondized aluminum

When we have done this I sanded down the sheet with 320 grit and orbital sander. Prime with MF Adhero or any good primer that will stick to vinyl will usually stick to aluminum fine. Then you can paint with anything you want over the primer.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

I have used XIM 400 White in a rattle can. They refer to it as a bonder/primer. They suggest its used for things like ceramic tile, aluminum, etc. It worked great for me, but I don't know if it works as good as a dedicated aluminum primer.

Seeing as you can get XIM at many Ace stores, it may be worth a side-by-side test against the aluminum etching primer. I wouldn't be surprised if the XIM actually outperformed because the stuf I used stuck like liquid nails.