Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
I agree that at that price it better be an awesome machine.

Now, I am a new member to this site, and I don't know everyone very well, but I hope I haven't deeply wounded my fellow turners. I am not trying to Oneway bash. I do believe they are excellent lathes, but I honestly feel that for their prices they should be better. Especially considering how many years they have had to tweak and refine their features and engineering. That being said, if Robust lives up to what they say they can do, I think the extra cost is worth it. Moreso for one who will be using it for their full income. That one being me. If I put up $5000.00 for a machine that will do almost anything, but could have spent $2000.00 more and gotten a lathe that can do everything, then it's worth it. That's my philosophy. Now I just need to get someone to corroborate or disprove my findings. I don't mind being wrong, I just don't know how much mass a Oneway can handle. Of course, there's always the VB36, but that's too specialized for my fledgling business.

Thanks y'all.

Hutch
I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, but I've seen beautiful work done on everything from home made machines to mega expensive lathes like the Robust or Oneway. But I've always had the impression that it was the person standing at the lathe that made the biggest difference.

I also think that if you're expecting the brand or price of mass of a lathe to compensate for trying to turn something too big or too far out of balance, there's a good chance you're going to get hurt.

Don't know if that's corroborating or disproving anything but it's just the basic laws of physics.