Thread: Jet DC 1100 & modification?

Jet DC 1100 & modification?

If I was to mount the motor/impellor & change the intake 2x4's to a1x6 and a short run of rigid pipe nearer the source of dust would extending the output( going back to the filter bags) to about 10 feet cause me problems? My application is a cnc table & I'd like to have as little hose draping over the table as possible. also, would moving the switch be much of an issue?

Nope. Sounds like a good plan, especially changing the inlet. I'm visualizing the motor/blower and suction hanging over your CNC table which sounds precarious, but good for dust control.

I have mine mounted "inlet-down" and it has suffered no ill effects. The added backpressure you will introduce by lengthening the distance between the impeller and the filter stack will not harm the motor, quite the opposite. It'll reduce the performance a bit, but opening up to 6" should more than compensate for that (even two 4" move less aire than one 6").

The real trick is the mounting. That blower/motor combo weighs about 40-50lbs. I had a heck of a time getting mine about 5' off the ground. but once mounted, it's held.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Thanks Guys, thats what I was hoping. I will fab up some kind of metal bracket & hang the motor securely. I'm guessing extending the wires for the switch wouldnt be an issue either. The motor capacitor is in the switch housing so I'll leave that on the motor but relocate the on/off to a usable height. I haven't worked with contactor type switches at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Thanks Guys, thats what I was hoping. I will fab up some kind of metal bracket & hang the motor securely. I'm guessing extending the wires for the switch wouldnt be an issue either. The motor capacitor is in the switch housing so I'll leave that on the motor but relocate the on/off to a usable height. I haven't worked with contactor type switches at all.

I have a jet remote control swicth on mine. Check into it
    i know that they are sold through jet as an add on. It works great. I like the idea your about to try. Let us know how it works for you.

Tom

Neville,

I have the same Jet DC. I installed my unit about 3 feet off the ground on a shelf behind a door and moved the blower farther back on the same side as the stock mounting area. I have run 6 inch HVAC duct purchased at the Borgs about 20 feet from the unit with 3 wyes (purchased at Penn State) running toward the biggie tools, and the system works like a charm. I would say your setup will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    The motor capacitor is in the switch housing so I'll leave that on the motor but relocate the on/off to a usable height. I haven't worked with contactor type switches at all.
    Ths stock switch on the DC 1100 is a regular toggle switch, not a contactor.