Thread: Cheese knives ?

Cheese knives ?

Turning cheese platters and am now onto the matching knives. Has anyone made these and how? I ordered the econo ones from CSUSA and cannot seem to make sense of how they stay in the wooden handle. I can only see that I must use a ton of glue. Any help would be appreciated since I cannot find a tutorial. This is a catalog picture but there is a tang that slips over that is not shown.
    THANKSstainless-cutlery-econo.jpg

I found a similar (looks almost exactly the same) kit from Penn State and there are instructions on their website. Looks like you drill a hole, slip that ferrule over the extension on the knife, put some epoxy in the hole and jam it in there. Here's the link to the instruction sheet .pdf. I hope I'm allowed to post it:

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKHKIT_ins.pdf

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Gastfriend; 11-01-2007 at 8:33 PM.

thanks

Well, glue it is! Thanks for finding that. I didn't want to trial and error with some nice cocobolo.

Robert Hainstock

That Was Good Advise. An Article In The Wood Mag, 2002 Instruct To Drill A Hole, And Epoxy The Tag Into The Handle

Curiousity question about the knife...

What's with the tip? Why is it shaped like that?

Jim....I think it's meant to be a serviing fork. You cut a slice of cheese and you can use the forked end of the knife to place the slice on a platter.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

7. If you go with the upgraded line, the tang is round, fits the hole much better.

I ordered a set of hor devors (sic) utensiles from Penn State to make for a Christmas gift. What would be the best finish for the handles? I know they would never be dishwasher safe, but need something to protect them when hand washing.

I've been using Permalyn Sealer on my bottle stoppers and it seems to work well. http://laurelmountainforge.com/instructions.htm

The sealer is designed for gun stock and will take abuse and wet weather well.

Any other suggestions for handle finishes.

Mark
    Huntsville
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

upgrade and finish

James- I did see the difference and wanted higher quality. Unfortunately there is a big price difference that my customer was not willing to absorb.
    Mark- I was looking through my stack of finishing products and came across a pint of outdoor semi gloss poly. I thought why not?