Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minor jobsite accident - could have been a LOT worse...

Minor jobsite accident - could have been a LOT worse...

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I got in a hurry today and got shot by the tip of a 15 gauge nail into the side of my right index finger, right at the first knuckle. Ouch. I think it only went in about 1/16" or less, but it did stop when it hit the bone. It barely bled, but MAN is it sore tonight. (Can you tell I'm typing funny?!!)

Earlier, I could bend it most of the way, but now it sticks out like a sore "index finger". It probably chipped the bone a little. The skin has barely a knick on it, but the knuckle is sure sore.

I was on a ladder, 10' in the air, safety glasses and hearing protection were on. I was nailing above my head with my left hand (Senco SFN2), pointing to the right, and holding the back piece with my right hand, just a little too close, I might add. My gun was slightly off horizontal, and the nail just missed the piece I was holding. It hit the corner, and then bent upwards, and then it hit my finger. I jerked away VERY quickly and said "OUCH" really loud (no profane words, thank you very much!).

No bandaid needed. I think it will take a few days to get it back to normal. A good reminder for me to not do stupid things. And like I said - it could have been a LOT worse!

Todd,
    I have had similar nail gun episodes when nailing MDF.The nails will just bend and shoot at at weird angles. I have been lucky all these years...it is worth it to take your time...it only takes a second to have a bad one! Glad it was not serious!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Todd,

Glad it wasn't more serious. At least you didn't do like I did and nail two fingers together with a framing nailer. Talk about feeling stupid!!

One thing about it, those little wake up calls sure make you pay attention.........................for awhile, anyway!

Heal quickly, you got to much work to do!

Bob

I leave a little blood in every house. No matter how careful you are, trim nailers will get you once in a while - nail hits a knot, or curls back at you off a drywall screw. Shot a 16 ga. through my left index finger and nailed it to my middle finger once, got the bricklayer to pull it out with pliers. Tape the fingers up with electrical tape and keep trimming. Lucky I heal quick.

Still....I feel your pain!

Todd, you were blessed. And yes, "ouch" was a great word to use at that moment. You guys, and the horror stories I've heard, are convincing me I don't need the IR compressor I looked at tonight at Tractor Supply. The guy who built our house nailed his thumb to a form stake when no one else was near the job. I was glad it wasn't at our house! After he got the stake wiggled from the ground he drove to the ER to have the nail and stake removed. I think I'm too much of a sissy for a nail gun.

David

Well Todd...!!!!! I never thought I would read something like this coming from YOU.!!!!!! I learned that lesson a few years back with a framing gun. Missed the stud and got the top of the leg.!!! Felt really good when it stopped hurting.

Heal quickly and I'm glad your tongue was under restraints!!!! Those times can bring a few words out of ones mouth that just isn't normally for the virgin ears.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I am glad to hear your injury wasn't serious. Posting accident reports like this is helpful imho, in that it warns others what to look out for, so thanks for pecking out this message in your current condition.

Cheers,
    Roger
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 02-10-2004 at 6:24 AM.

Hey Todd, glad to hear you are OK. Thanks for the wake up call, we all get a little 'foolish' sometimes, especially when trying to get that job finished.

Go easy on it, If it doesn't get better real soon I'd have a Dr. take a look at it.
    Tony

Todd...glad you're ok. I just had basically the same thing happen to me while installing a floor while I was nailing the first few strips by hand, except in my case, the nail didn't even break the skin, it just touched me when it curled around and protruded near where I shot it in. Got my attention, though.

I'd say my worst first-hand experience was with a framing nailer. I had an older friend helping me build my shed, and as I was nailing the floor together, one nail was a little too close to the end and shot through, ricocheted, and hit him right in the center of one of his eyeglass lenses. It left just a tiny, tiny nick, but we were both very thankful he wore glasses and that it wasn't worse at that point.

Folks....think about how many swings of a hammer it takes to drive a nail--these guns apply that force in one blow....stay safe!!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs down

Always one in the crowd!
    Todd, Puncturs are the worst because they carry gunk (Med Term) deep into the wound, and don't bleed to flush it out. Keep it clean, & a close eye on it. Talk to the man if it doesn't clear up fast. Have you had a tetness shot lately??? (Heads up to all of you guys that play with sharp toys) Alternate ice and heat to stimulate circulation in the area.

Dude I'm counting on all ten of those digits to get me through some more projects.

TJH (30 year EMS Instructor)
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-17-2004 at 8:36 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Todd - I had a framing nailer incident when LOML and I were building my shop. I was tired, it was the end of the day, and I was in a hurry. That's three reasons to stop working NOW! Anyway, nail curled up and went thru my left index finger but missed the bone. My wife was right beside me when it happened and I think it scared her worse that me. After that little wake up call I never again work with power tools when I am tired.

Glad to hear you are all right and looking forward to meeting you this evening when I pick up the pen blanks.

Waymon...

Glad you're OK Todd! Jason's point "thinking about how many swings of a hammer it takes to drive a nail" and your little accident will have me thinking about where my hands are when using a gun! Heal fast and watch out for infections (puncture wounds are the worst!).
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Stupid, stupid, stupid. I got in a hurry today and got shot by the tip of a 15 gauge nail into the side of my right index finger, right at the first knuckle. Ouch. I think it only went in about 1/16" or less, but it did stop when it hit the bone. It barely bled, but MAN is it sore tonight. (Can you tell I'm typing funny?!!)
    Sorry to hear about your finger, but glad it didn't go very far in. Back in '97 I shot myself with w/an 18 ga. pin nailer right through the nail of my thumb...ouch! That was thankfully the only skin breaking episode with a nail gun I've ever had (knocking on wood as I type).

I was holding a small piece of trim for an aquarium door set I was building and the nail went into the dark grain and came out the side...yikes!!

Hi Todd

Let me add my sympathy/empathy to your plight. I haven't nailed myself with a nailer yet, but I have used one of those old fashioned hammers on my thumb enough times! Let me reinforce Tyler as well - go see a doc. It isn't manly to avoid the doctor and have your finger rot off, or worse.

Heal quickly.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    I jerked away VERY quickly and said "OUCH" really loud (no profane words, thank you very much!).
    Todd,

I didn't know you had "nail biting" habit! But, glad to hear you said "Ouch." This made me think of something I heard from one of my friends at church this last weekend. The quote was something like this:

"When the bucket gets bumped, what's in it splashes out."

Glad your bucket is clean, and hope you have no more bucket bumping going on.

Mike