Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Branding? (first post in a long while)

Branding? (first post in a long while)

Hi folks, sorry I've been MIA so long. Between the kids getting back to school and my turning time being traded for home repair time, it's been tough for a few months. So anyhow, hello again!

Here's my current question for all you smart guys.... I need to make a brand to apply to a bowl that's been commissioned. Any ideas on how to make a brand? It only needs to work a couple times.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Welcome back Patrick! No idea about branding but Travis has been doing some really nice burning - might want to give him a bump!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome back Pat. Was beginning to wonder what happened to ya. Are you going to get to see Bill G. next week?

Tony

p.s. - can't help ya on the branding stuff. Sorry.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Pat, has the party that commissioned the bowl asked for specific brand or is this to show that you made the piece? If they want a brand you can add that to the price and there are a number of companies who make them (just make sure their design is small enough that it will be able to go on a bowl.) If it is for you and time is a factor (custom brands can take a while if ordered), I would look into the woodburning option as you can find signature tips and other tips that would allow for different design options.
    Ben

The current issue of Woodturning Design - mine came yesterday- has an article about making "brands" from wire to decorate turnings. Might see if you can get a copy.

Good to see ya Pat. I know how dividing time goes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

From what I understand, you can use wire bent into what every shape you can and solder that to a handle. Heat it with a torch and burn it in. You will be pretty limited in you design though.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Good to hear from you again Pat! Congrats on the commissioned piece. I know pics will follow. I saw this link on another forum.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...il-brands.html

Talk to Nancy Laird. Maybe laser engraving would better suit your needs. The branding irons I have seen are a little too expensive for just a couple times use.

Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Hi folks, sorry I've been MIA so long. Between the kids getting back to school and my turning time being traded for home repair time, it's been tough for a few months. So anyhow, hello again!

Here's my current question for all you smart guys.... I need to make a brand to apply to a bowl that's been commissioned. Any ideas on how to make a brand? It only needs to work a couple times.

Thanks in advance.

Pat
    How much detail do you need?

If it can be a bit sloppy and nondescript you could use a small torch and pliers, vises, etc. to bend some steel wire like bare welding rod or even something bigger into a shape. Once you get the basic shape, to flatten it out, heat the whole thing up to a dull red and press it in a vise between a couple of pieces of scrap steel and just leave it there to cool. Put w wooden handle on it and your ready to go.

If I needed detail, I would cast it in aluminum (best left to the professionals). If you choose to go that route, I'd would find a college in the area that has a sculpture program and call the sculpture instructor and ask for the names of the some advanced students that might be interested in doing such a thing for some extra $$. I used to pick up some jobs like that from time to time.

Sculpture programs near D.C.

Catholic Univ. of America
    Mary Frank 202-319-5282

George Washington Univ.
    202-994-6085

Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore.
    Laramee, Eve Andre Faculty, Chair of Sculpture/General Sculptural Studies 410-225-2492 elaramee@mica.edu

James Madison Univ. -
    Harrisonburg, Virginia
    Greg Stewart Assistant Professor of Art
    540.568.6816 stewargk@jmu.edu

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

hey, slacker!

how ya been?

i vote for the laser approach.

no tooling needed. you can be as ornate as you want to be and have excellent detail.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

Twenty five or so years ago I made some bbq branding irons out of untempered drill rod .. for steaks etc . they were my dad and mother's initials. they were bent in the basic shape/s and brazed to the handle rod. Most cattle branding irons are made from square/rectangular stock, cut and welded / brazed . or use a runin iron, bend a piece of 3/8 (?) mild steel in a sorta L shape and away ya go. tho if caught in cattle country with the runing iron ..... run ..... I brand most of my taxidermy plaques with a J , I lost the P some where. (PJ).
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Welcome back Pat. Was beginning to wonder what happened to ya. Are you going to get to see Bill G. next week?

Tony

p.s. - can't help ya on the branding stuff. Sorry.
    I'm going to miss the Bill G demo due to work commitments. I've missed the last 3 months of club meetings due to business trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fusaro View Post
    hey, slacker!
    Slacker, eh? Sheesh!

Thanks everyone. I've been good, just busy. That kitchen remodeling is actually still going on, with a few lingering items left.. I've been doing a lot of house painting, traveling, kids activities, work, etc. You all know how it is.

I'm getting back into the shop, slowly, although cleaning is the name of the game right now so I can get an electrical upgrade in advance of a new lathe (hopefully by the end of the year).

The wire-bending idea is what LOML suggested (she's pretty crafty) and for the design I'm doing, along with cost and schedule, I think that's the best option. Thanks for your input as always, and of course I'll let you know how it goes!

Strange coincidence.... I was busy busy busy with almost zero shop time, and just as I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and was planning to get back in the shop when the following things happened, all in 4 days!
    1. Sold 3 items online after 2 months of no sales
    2. Was asked to do the aforementioned commissioned piece
    3. Ran in to the club president at the grocery store and had to apologize for missing so many meetings!
    It's strange how events conspire to get you motivated sometimes...

Blog Entries
    Your never too busy......just under staffed. I recently bought a woodburning system to autograph my work.My signature is better on wood than it is on a check. You may want to consider this as an option.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I hear ya there Bill. My wife says I just scribble something. I have a logo that I put on mine instead of signing. Just initials in a neat looking form.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!