Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile base for band saw

Mobile base for band saw

Hi everyone. I have a Rigid 14" band saw that I would like to put on a mobile base. Any suggestions as to brand and/or size.
    Lori K

I have my Rikon on a delta mobile base, but instead of assembling with wood I used square steel tubing, much stronger and works just fine.

Bandsaw Mobile Base

I have a General on my brand new 16" Steel City. Works great

RDF

I have a Ridgid also and will be putting it on a Shop Fox mobile base I bought from Grizzly.

Thank you all for your responses.
    Paul, I really like the idea of not using wood. I'll have to talk to hubby about that .
    I really like the Delta style (1 center lift pedal), but of course it doesn't come in the correct size for my band saw .
    Lori K

lori, don't forget that on the delta you could always build the mobile base wider and longer than the actual bandsaw's footprint and place a sheet of plywood in the center for support.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    Thank you all for your responses.
    Paul, I really like the idea of not using wood. I'll have to talk to hubby about that .
    I really like the Delta style (1 center lift pedal), but of course it doesn't come in the correct size for my band saw .
    Go the the HTC web-site and have a look at some if the heavy duty bases with pedal lifts. They have quite a number available for most WW large machines that you don't see at the local WW stores.

And you might try the Jet web-site as they have an adjustable medium duty and heavy duty that is very sturdy and nice. I have a heavy duty under my 8" jointer and 600 lb. industrial floor morticer. Very well made and will accomodate about any weigh you throw at them.

Regards...

Sarge..

Lori,

I have the Ridge band saw sitting on the old HF mobile base...the one with the wood cross pieces...and the bs is way too heavy for it. I would stay away from any of that type.

I am looking for another base as well, so I am interested is what you come up with.

I have the riser on mine so that makes it even taller and less stable on the HF base...

Skip

www.ShopFileR.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Williams View Post
    Lori,

I have the Ridge band saw sitting on the old HF mobile base...the one with the wood cross pieces...and the bs is way too heavy for it. I would stay away from any of that type.

I am looking for another base as well, so I am interested is what you come up with.

I have the riser on mine so that makes it even taller and less stable on the HF base...

Skip

www.ShopFileR.com
    Skip, did you use wood or metal tubing on that HF mobile base? I use P1000 Unistrut channel on my HF bases instead of wood and they are plenty strong enough to handle heavy items. I have my jointer mounted on a HF mobile base along with a wood base made of 2x4's. This setup has got to weight 100lbs more than your BS and the HF base moves effortlessly around my shop. I also have my drill press with another 2x4 wood base mounted to another HF mobile base and it also handles the weight without a problem.

As far as stability is concerned, I have both the jointer and the drill press lag screwed down to the 2x4 bases and that makes them quite stable.

I ended up ordering the HTC 2000 from Amazon. It is size adjustable so hopefully it will work. Supposedly supports 400 lbs.
    Thanks all for suggestions. Will let you know how it works out.
    Lori K

Thanks Dave,

Using wood...which is the problem. I really need to swap it out for metal.

Where did you get the unistrut channel? Is it very expensive?

Sorry Lorie...didn't mean to hijack the thread..

Skip

www.ShopFileR.com

I have a 514x Grizzly and I use a Shop Fox mobile base and it works well ..
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have a Rockler mobile base ($59.95) on my Rikon bandsaw (about 270 pounds). I used curly maple 3/4" boards laminated with Titebond III into 1 1/2" thick pieces to make 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" pieces to join the metal corners. It's a three-wheel base with a pedal to raise and lower the third wheel. There have been no problems with it whatsoever. It moves easily, it sits level, and it is solid.

You might also see if any Home Depots near you have a Herc-U-Lift. They are designed for the Ridgid bandsaw, among other tools.

You could also get some casters from Grizzly, Northern Tool, Home Depot, or someplace else (2 1/2" or 3" locking wheels with 4-hole mounting plates, around $4 each) and bolt them to a square of 3/4" plywood large enough to fit your bandsaw base. Screw down some 1 1/2" pieces of plywood in L-shapes around the outer edges of the stand's legs to keep the thing on the plywood.

Hi Lori,
    I use the universal base from Woodcraft for my 18".
    I like that it sets on feet and not the casters once you have it in place.
    it is on sale now, for $49 in their current flyer

You just add plywood to the footprint you need

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Not meaning to steal this thread, but recently i had a friend's wife that was wanting to get him a bandsaw for Christmas and I recommended she look at the Grizzly GO513X for him. I recommended that she also purchase a mobile base for the saw at the same time. Grizzly has a mobile base listed as an accessory for this saw and I recommended she get them both at the same time. When she called Grizzly, the rep on the phone recommend she not get the mobile base as it would make the saw too top heavy and was a safety hazard.
    I've had several different bandsaws on mobile bases and never had any issues with them being top heavy (I used the HTC-3000 previously). Does anyone know if there is an issue with the this particular saw (base possibly too narrow) or was this just opinion by the CSR?
    I have had very favorable results with the HTC-3000 mobile base.
    Last edited by Fred Woodward; 11-05-2007 at 8:53 AM.