Thread: Forming Lexan

Forming Lexan

I am trying to make a dust collecting shroud from Lexan for my plunge router so my shop vac can catch most of the chips. I want it to be above the base so I can use it in the middle of a panel. Using a heat gun to form a curve around a glass mayonaise jar sort of gets there, but its not a very smooth curve - kind of crude (I know, a lot things I do are crude, but that's another thread).

The info on the Lexan covering film says that Lexan will burn at 800 deg. F.

Anyone have any experience putting Lexan in an oven to form it? I was thinking of laying a piece of Lexan on the glass jar (or making a form of plywood) and putting in the oven at 350 degrees (everything goes into an oven at 350, right?) until it forms itself.

Bob

Blog Entries

Lexan forming

Take a look at this website: Plastic Forming It should give you information on temperatures required to form lexan. I see no problem doing it in your oven as long as you don't get it too hot and SWMBO agrees that you can use the oven for that purpose.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bob,

Be advised that some type of acrylic material will give off toxic gasses when heated. Check this twice before you bake

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson
    I am trying to make a dust collecting shroud from Lexan for my plunge router so my shop vac can catch most of the chips. I want it to be above the base so I can use it in the middle of a panel. Using a heat gun to form a curve around a glass mayonaise jar sort of gets there, but its not a very smooth curve - kind of crude (I know, a lot things I do are crude, but that's another thread).

Anyone have any experience putting Lexan in an oven to form it? I was thinking of laying a piece of Lexan on the glass jar (or making a form of plywood) and putting in the oven at 350 degrees (everything goes into an oven at 350, right?) until it forms itself.

Bob
    Bob, I had success in bending acrylic (up to nearly 3/8" thick) using a heat gun. I myself would feel a bit nervous about bending it around a mayonnaise jar, however. I made a wood form which allowed me to sight down the edge of the form as I slowly bent the plastic, keeping it at a right angle all the way. One thing I didn't do--and I should have--was remove the protective paper before I applied the heat. No harm done, though. Just a little scorched paper. Next time I do this sort of thing I'll know better!

Bob
    Bob, forming lexan (polycarbonate) is more unforgiving than plexiglas (acrylic). When it gets to hot it starts to off gas then bubble and that is when it is to late to save it from looking ugly.
    Heating it in an oven over a form will work, I think the tempature is maybe 15 to 20 degree less than 350. It will also quite possibly depend on the thickness of the material. Lexan can be bent cold in a metal brake.
    Jim
    Florida Space Coast

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga

Bob
    Bob .. I work in a LARGE confectionary facility and everything there is stainless steel, white enamel, and LEXAN. The contractors who do most of out LEXAN guards & such have a series of long, straight rods that resemble electric oven heater elements. They simply lay the LEXAN on the element, turn it on, and wait for it to bend right on the line from gravity. Don't know what temp they use, but a few scraps would probably get you very close.

Bob Wingard,

Is there any indication that these guys are concerned about toxic gases when they are heating the Lexan?

Bob

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Bob Wingard,

Is there any indication that these guys are concerned about toxic gases when they are heating the Lexan?

Bob
    They don't SEEM to be concerned, but then, they are working in a huge outbuilding that has plenty of ventilation. Also, they are only heating a narrow strip, not the entire sheet, so I would guess the hazard of outgassing would be to a much lesser degree. Normally, they make custom safety covers/guards for out conveyos & bucket elevators, etc. using this method.