Thread: not your usual DC question

Blog Entries

not your usual DC question

I am looking for ideas for mounting my cyclone body/ motor to the wall in my "shop". The cyclone body is a 18in Clearview with a 3hp Jet blower(DC-1900 IRC). Not your usual combination but the price was right when it came with a lot of spiral pipe, not so cheap flex and some blast gates.

Because the blower/ motor is using the original blower housing, I am leaning tward seperate mounts for the blower and the cyclone body. Any problems with mounting the cyclone thru hole in some sheet goods(acting as a bracket with a stablizing strap on the upper cylinder?

If you have pictures of your installation, I could use some ideas.

Thanks!

You can download and/or print a pdf, fairly straightforward set of installation instructions, from the clearvue site that you may be able to adapt to your situation.

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Clea...ons%202007.pdf

Blog Entries
    Thanks Stan, I already have those. Problem is, that I really cannot attach the cyclone to the blower in that fashion.

Brent, for your setup, you can mount the cyclone body itself using any practical method, especially if you keep the blower separate. You don't have the same weight metrics at that point. And unless the blower you are using was originally mounted "vertically", you'll want to keep it separate and horizontal to maintain correct bearing wear/stress in mind. That can be an advantage head-room wise although it will take more "space"...you can use a larger waste bin under the cyclone. Mounting the blower on the wall at height keeps it out of the way.

Be creative since you have the opportunity to do so with a separate cyclone and blower setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know I've seen some pics of setups with the blower and motor mounted sideways and separately from the cyclone but cant recall for sure where. There may be something in the ClearVue gallery pics and I'm thinking Stu Ablett's dungeon setup may have been done that way but cant seem to find a thread to it here. Might want to PM Stu through FWW to see if he has a link to his cyclone details.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    well after doing a bit of head scratching and some serious contemplating, I am going to be building a stand this weekend (hopefully completing it with my other "to-do" list) and all will be ready for ducting. I did some long digging thru the old cyclone posts and got some pretty ingenious ideas on how some of the components could be done. In doing some figuring the other night I found that my garage door is a major limiting factor in my layout. I cannot readily reduce the size of the door at this time so, time to make some lemonaide.

Actually it will be pretty slick, and not much different than most commercial stands except it will be made of some VERY highly figured and quite expensive pine and plywood.

Pictures to follow.

Doug, If you need a break from the bench ... you and China are always welcome... if the red dodge is in the drive... I'm home.

I may take you up on that in a week or so. I wouldn't mind a look-see at your bench & twin-screw before I cut the jaws to size. I'm saving that part til last after I get the long edges and LH end done hopefully in the next week.
    Use the fence Luke

Rob Will Guest

Steel tube frame

Here's my version of a wall-mounted cyclone.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61324

Rob

Blog Entries
    well, here is how I wound up doing things...

I still have to fasten the tower to the wall and tie down the blower but it works!

Well that was quick. I assume there's going to be a cleanout box under the filters that will also keep it off the floor? I dont know how much you open the overhead door, but without knowing for sure if it's an issue or not, I'd be concerned that the filter pleats might get damp being so close?? And then clog?? Maybe somebody with some firsthand experience with ones in a similar location will chime in.
    Use the fence Luke

Hi Brent,
    Way to "Get-R-Done". You will want to consider vibration dampening /absorption when you attach to the walls. Mine is in an attached shed and the common wall makes a nice 12' x18' sub-woofer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Well that was quick. I assume there's going to be a cleanout box under the filters that will also keep it off the floor? I dont know how much you open the overhead door, but without knowing for sure if it's an issue or not, I'd be concerned that the filter pleats might get damp being so close?? And then clog?? Maybe somebody with some firsthand experience with ones in a similar location will chime in.
    I spent some time on the phone with Rick at Wynn Env. and his take on the moisture... furr-geet-abouuut-iiit. No issue from his point of view. These are used and came with the unit. I will be ordering new ones and making a new cleanout after the holidays sometime. Right now I am trying to decide whether to use the 8in flexpipe or the insulated flex duct to hook up the blower to the filterstack.