Thread: 4x8x 3/16 curly cherry ply sheet-what would you do with it???

Blog Entries

Question 4x8x 3/16 curly cherry ply sheet-what would you do with it???

All,
    I was just visiting the new wood store that opened about a mile from my house and they had a few sheets of 4' x 8' x 3/16" curly cherry. The sheets were gorgeous, perfect matching, nice figure, balanced color, consistent thickness...very nice! Oh, and $97 per sheet.

Tempting...

But then I started thinking of what I would use it for... 3/16" isn't strong enough to be self supporting for cabinet-type construction and I wouldn't need a veneer that thick (and thinner veneer is less expensive)... I am stumped...

Call me fool, but maybe I should get a sheet and replace the hardboard on my layout table with it?? Someone talk me out of that idea...

What would you do with it?
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Panels for any frame-and-panel furniture. My upcoming cherry craftsman-style entertainment center project would greatly benefit from precisely what you describe!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Ya could buy a couple and take a short trip up I 29 and put them in the back of my truck......

Good to hear another source is close by and now open for biz.

What did the pricing look like on the usual suspects.... ie cherry, walnut etc 4/4 etc???

Cheers,
    Greg

Blog Entries
    Greg,
    you've been to Liberty Hardwoods, right? It's their branch. Prices are about the same for everything. They carry General Tools, ShopFox accessories, etc...

Real nice layout and the guys there are great. They're taking requests right now from customers so they know what the locals like...

I hope they do well, I'm tired of my only choices being either a long drive to Liberty or the BORG.

They could do with a better variety of clamps, bits, saws, etc... and I'm a little disappointed that they only carry General equipment instead of Griz, Jet or Delta.

If you ever want me to secure a purchase for you, let me know.

Greg

That connects the dots (least in my noodle it does). Since Liberty HW won't letcha paw through the piles of twigs to get whatcha want, having a more retail style store is sensible.....
    The prices the same as the mother store I'm assuming...?
    Nothing wrong with the green brand with the maple leaf on it IMO.... my table saw says so.
    At one point in time the Creeker ya bought the P'matic jointer off had some lumber too, not sure if he does now though. I seem to remember him saying he had a fair size stack of walnut.... IIRC anyway.

Cheers.
    Greg

What Jason said...or you could laminate it to 1/2" or 3/4" BB for stronger panels if you need to. I recently did this to avoid more veneer work than I was prepared to do for a book case...similar situation: $70 for a sheet of the most beautiful QS cherry figure I've seen on sheet stock yet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Actually,
    This place lets you flip through it as much as you want. Everything is in verticle racks so you can see almost every piece very well. I'd suggest if you are looking for that perfect grained exotic, then come down here instead. They really have some nice stuff including quality sheet goods and some real nice blanks for bowl turning.

I haven't gotten into turning yet, but as soon as I'm done getting my shop laid out better (I'm now adding 1/2 of the garage to my basement shop which doubles my shop size), I think I'm gonna get a lathe and ask Les for some lessons. He lives about 2 minutes from me.
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 11-06-2007 at 3:48 PM.

Hi, can you give me the name and location of this new store? May have to make a trip west to check it out.

Blog Entries

Metro Hardwoods

About 1 mile south of I-70 on Noland Road in Independence, MO