Thread: tool gloat... minor

tool gloat... minor

Ok, here it goes my first tool gloat. I picked up a Delta 17-901 16.5" drillpress that needs some love, a Rockwell 28-200 14" bandsaw, a Rockwell 37-220 jointer and a Delta 6" bench grinder the other night for $300. The guy I bought them from was a finish carpenter who said he wasn't using his shop, all his work was being done in houses, so he had to get rid of the tools.

The bandsaw and jointer are in fairly decent shape, I'll need to do some clean up on them, and the drillpress needs some new parts, but it shouldn't be to expensive. I was saving up for the new(ish) Cman 14" steel frame bandsaw, but this just seemed like the better deal!

Sorry, no pic of the grinder, I gave it to my Dad right away, so I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it, and please excuse the messy shop... I'm going to clean it up someday!!!

bandsaw.JPGdrillpress.JPGjointer.JPG

what a bargain! did you move all that equipment yourself?

Great gloat, wish I had the nerve to buy used, seems like every time I do it costs more than new to fix....let us see what they look like when they're up and running, have fun.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Talking Gloat

Now that's a steel I mean deal.

Yeah, I moved it myself... well with the help of my Dad!! It really wasn't to bad, the bandsaw and jointer came on dollies, so we just wheeled them up to the trailer and heaved them on.

You did real well......Nice haul. Congrats
    Jerry

I've got the exact same bandsaw and am very happy with it. Paid close to what you paid for all of that for mine and I thought I got a good deal. I would suggest buying the riser block for the saw right away before investing in blades. That, a set of ceramic guide blocks, a replacement tension spring and a zero-clearance throat insert are the only change I've made to mine and I'm very happy with it.

Where did you get the riser block from? I called the local Delta rep here in Ottawa and they told me that Delta doesn't make a riser block for it anymore. I asked if a new riser block would fit and they said they weren't sure... and it is $165!!! Seems a little steep for me, but I sure would like that 12" of resaw hight.

Jamie,
    Good luck with your new tool stash! You seriously scored one heck of a deal!!!

By the way, if Delta tells you that their standard riser block kit (28-984) will fit, I've got an extra one that I'm selling in the next few days. I don't know if the shipping would wipe out the savings from buying from me. They normally run about $120 but I'll sell you mine for $70.

Let me know if you are interested....

Good luck,
    Dick

I just bought the standard riser block kit from my local Delta dealer. I assume its costs more up there for the same reasons brought up in the Steel City thread recently.

Great score Jamie!

My drill press is a 17-900 I salvaged from a high school industrial arts program. Of course, the kids had trashed it pretty bad and it sounds as though you are in a similar situation with yours. I had very good luck in downloading the parts blowup from Delta and ordering the replacements I needed, but that nearly three years ago. Since then, there has been corporate reshuffling (Delta-Porter-Cable-Dewalt) and I have heard several horror stories about getting parts. I hope everything works well for you and would be interested in future postings as to how you made out with these tools.

12. Hi. Does anyone know if I can still get parts for a Rockwell / Delta 28-200? It's not in the best of condition but it looks like it can be still be of good service. Blade on it looks oversized though.

This is a rare find here in the Philippines. Most of the new bandsaws available are made in China or Taiwan. My brother came across it together with some bigger bandsaws and is willing to part with it for around $288. He didn't exactly get it as a bargain.

I got started on small plywood-on-frame sailboats and I thought that a bandsaw would be a very machine to have around.

Thanks.

Luis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on your find. I'd say this is a pretty major gloat and could see either the bandsaw or jointer alone going for that price. In fact, I think it's deserving of a, "you suck."

Cheers!
    Last edited by Robert Strebler; 08-27-2008 at 6:21 PM.

Most parts for the 28-200 are interchangeable with today's parts. And, other than major castings, covers, etc. most everything has an aftermarket replacement that is some kind of improvement. The Iturra Designs catalog is a great resource.

15. Thank you Matt.