Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steam Bending - In a BIG Way

Steve, we do have trees (white oak) available to us at Constitution Grove. They are even GPS tagged so we can find them quickly and easily. We have another grove in Kings Bay, Georgia for live oak.

The problem is time and cost. To harvest them and process them just takes too long and costs too much. A 24 inch diameter tree will only yeild a single hull plank and it needs to be clear and straight for over 40 feet!

The last time trees from the grove were used was in the early 90's during the last major restoration. Because of difficulties experienced during that, it was decided that all major components would be made from laminates in the future.

The company we now use is awesome and they can meet all of the military specifications we put on the materials. Also, the way we have the laminates constructed also minimizes the possibility that you can tell they are laminates.

Be well,

Doc

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Don, great stuff!
    I kind of makes my woodworking projects seem insignificant.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Don, I visited the USS Constitution website and ended up pretty much viewing everything that was there. That's really a spectacular ship and you must have one of the best jobs in the Navy. My only suggestion for the website would be to add more pictures to the, "Virtual Tour" of the ship. I'm in California and I'm not likely to get back that way to visit in person anytime soon so some more pictures of the interior would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for starting this thread as it got me to that website and I learned/relearned some U.S. history that all Americans should know. I'm glad that ship is in such good hands. Thanks for your service because what you and your shipmates are doing is very important.

Bruce

How Appropriate...

Just as Veteran's Day approaches. This was the best thing I have read all day. Thanks for posting this. And I agree - you must have the best job in the Navy! Thanks for serving!!

Guys, I really appreciate all the great comments. And yes, in my 20+ years in the Navy, this is the best job I've had. It truly is an honor to serve aboard her and be a part of preserving our Navy and our Nations heritage.

Bruce, thanks for the comments on the website. I just recently got an IT guy on staff and I want to completely revamp the website. Keep checking back, hopefully you'll see some drastic improvements over the coming months.

Thanks again guys.

Be well,

Doc

If I had only known that instead of being bored out of my head, stuck in New London, Ct. on the USS Fulton for a little over 2 years, I could have been helping you work on the Constitution!?? You should have called...

I hope I can get the chance to visit some of my friends who stayed in the New England area and get them to Boston to visit. That's one piece of Naval history I still want to see.

How did you go from medicine to being on the Constitution? I'm jealous!

Thanks Don for the tour of the USS Constitution Shipyard. I have always wanted to tour the shipyard in person. I once saw a documentary on the USS Constitution and also a filming of I believe Bob Villa when they were bending one of these planks. I guess that was you I saw when Bob did the interview?
    Thanks again,
    Smitty
    Smitty