Thread: Help me to decide...

Red face Help me to decide...

I have a home shop... it is a hobby for me... I build a bookshelf or table about every 2 months. I am spoiled this way and I know it but I have a dewalt 735 planer, a delta 18 inch bandsaw (2 horse), and a festool rotax 150 sander. I do not have a ton of shop space but can probably swing 2 of the following tools... the Powermatic 1791268K 16" Open-End Belt Sander - Model 1632, 5HP, 1Ph, 230V with Digital Readout, The Delta 22-450 CD-580 20" Planer, 5 HP, 1 Ph or I can upgrade to the Extrema EB-24 - 24" Bandsaw with the following specs...

5 HP single or three phase
    23" working width
    12-1/2" cutting height
    Twist resistant blade guides
    Footpedal blade brake with shut-off switch
    177" blade lenght
    4200 ft/min blade speed
    1/4" to 1-1/4" blade capacity
    1000 lbs

I can swing 2 of the three tools here... so what should I be looking at doing? If I get the planer my dewalt gives me such a clean finish I have been thinking i would keep it as a finish planer and build a stand that actually sat it on top of the delta. If I get the extrema it will replace the Delta 28-682 bandsaw... and the sander If I can get it for the $2K I think i can get it for I believe will be my first choice. My shop is just 24 x 24 and I have as much fun playing with the toys as working on a project... But if I have to choose between these and just get 2 which do you think will be most useful... also I am considering a Jet Oscillating spindle sander or a Jet oscillating edge sander... If you could choose between the 2 of those which way would you go?

Thanks for the help...

Drew

I would get the tool(s) that removes or shortens the most of what you would consider to be drudgery work.

For instance, I hate sanding and the dust it creates. Therefore, I have a big open end wide belt sander and a 9" wide horizontal edge sander. Sanding is no longer a chore for me, and when I do do it, I get excellent results with minimal effort. On the hand side, I have the Festool setup with the accompanying vacuum, plus an array of belts sanders (2 ryobis, 1 porter cable belt and the porter cable hand OSC spindle sander, and a detail sander). I hate sanding, but I have all the tools to make it faster so I can spend less time doing it.

And, I got the wide belt sander instead of a drum sander, because I consider changing the paper on a drum to be drudgery.

Same with the jointer/planer knives. I got rid of the machine that requires a micrometer to set the knives for one that uses pins to line up the knives (Esta-style).

Todd

I'd buy tools which allow me to build stuff I couldn't build without those tools. For instance, you don't mention a jointer or a lathe or a table saw. I'd get those before I upgraded the bandsaw. I'd probably get a jointer wide enough to face-plane any lumber I want to use. That's 10 or 12 inches. Another way to think of this is that the resaw capacity of the bandsaw is wasted unless you can plane the face you've resawed.

Question

I have a powermatic PJ-882 jointer, and a Sawstop so I am OK there... I don't have a big lathe... just a delta midilathe for bun feet etc... Just not that excited about turning I guess. If it becomes an issue for me I would consider one. I think my first choice here is the belt sander... I wish I had room for a 37 inch wide belt but I don't. Everything I have is on mobile bases and gets dragged away from the shop walls for its use then put back (I am getting some hover pads for easier maneuvering) and I just cannot fit a full size wide belt in there as far as I have been able to tell. I guess I could and could get rid of the big planer purchase??? dang it is hard when your space is limited...

Drew

Soooo.... what if I go ahead and just got a 37 inch wide belt and skipped the big planer... I could get the bandsaw later... The widebelt could do the same by abrasive planing for those projects my 735 could not handle I guess... A wide belt will cost me more that what my entire budget was but it sounds like that might be the way to go?

Drew

Hi Drew, I'd go with the sander, the 37" wide belt. From the little info you've given, I'd say that would be your best bet, but thats just me. Seems like you feel the same way though, so I'd say go for it.