Thread: Barley Twist

Barley Twist

My Daughter has a bench with a slat across the back(very plain). I thought I would attempt to up date it and attempt(my first) at a Barley Twist,or something other than a piece of 2x2. Can someone please tell me how to lay it out and proceed Thanks.

Ben Franklin is your friend

Many turning books explain this, since, as I understand it, it requires a round spindle. Your local public library will have, or surely can get through interlibrary loan, a suitable book.

Since the twist carves away a lot of the stock, if you don't have a lathe, I would think that planing/drawknifing/spokeshaving an approximate round would be a sufficient starting point. Don't know: making a barley twist or other spiral spindle is still on my list of to-dos someday.

FWW had an article about a year ago on making barley twists.

Jonathan
    Last edited by jonathan snyder; 11-10-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Check out the second and third programs, St. Roy will show you how. http://www.pbs.org/wws/schedule/26season_video.html

Pam

Talking Thanks For The Info

Thank you one and all, Just got home from work andsaw the replys. I tried numerious times to open the PBS info. as sugested by Pam,but the ol' comp just would not let me. So I'll try the Lib. when I go to town again. 120 miles round trip. Thanks again.

Ah,. well

"Local" clearly has another meaning in your part of the woods. My local library is a fifteen-minute walk - but we get a lot more auto traffic by the house than I imagine you do.

There's a book "Techniques of Spiral Work" by Stuart Mortimer that may have what you want. Out of print but you may be able to find a copy used.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.