Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet JJP-12 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    The question I have on the unit is can you seperate the base from the tables to move it down stairs into a basement shop?
    Probably, but that could really result in a major effort to re-assemble and re-align the tables. In general, these machines don't get disassembled. Your best bet is extra help for the job...and it's totally worth it, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is the ability to add a mortise chuck and the quick change knives worth the extra 1400 for the hammer? What do you think Paul?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    Is the ability to add a mortise chuck and the quick change knives worth the extra 1400 for the hammer?
    For me, the Tersa knives on my J/P are the kicker. Simple to deal with unfortunate nicks and changing them takes all of a minute or so including being sure not to slice off a few fingers during the operation. (They are darn sharp!) Once the machine is setup and aligned, there is pretty much never a need to readjust no matter how many times a day you want to change the knives. Being able to select different formulations is also handy for some folks that work in different species. So Tersa or the Hammer type quick change knife system is a very nice feature, IMHO...one I'd cheerfully pay for...and did.

The mortiser has been less of an issue for me simply because the particular machine I own has the mortise setup on the back and my shop space is not conducive to that. Otherwise, I'd probably have it on my machine. At the time I bought, it was only a $600 upgrade which isn't all that far off one of the higher-end square chisel mortisers. (floor standing)

That all said, these new machines from Jet, Grizzly and likely others, fit into a great spot in the market from a price point vs functionality standpoint. And there is no question I'd recommend they be considered when one of the more full featured machines is out of the question.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    Is the ability to add a mortise chuck and the quick change knives worth the extra 1400 for the hammer? What do you think Paul?

Dan
    Dan,
    In my opinion the quick change knives are extremely important. Now keep in mind I have had the ole' staight knife and gibs setup on both my old jointer and planer so I got use to the set up. Did I enjoy doing it? no not really but you get use to it. Now with the Tersa I can change knives so efortlessly that I tend to keep sharper knives on my machine. The Tersa knives are extremely sharp! I found out the hard way.

The mortising attachments are nice and can further provide a space saving in that you get three machine in one foot print. These attachments are pricey though and they will require you to create some auxillary modfications to them to truely use them well. I created another top (to increase the surface area), provided more clamping area and added a nice fence and indexing system.

Does all this make you a better woodworker? no it does not. All it does is drain your wallet but the tools are nice to use and work well. One could do mortising many other ways (festool, mortising machine, drill press, router, chisels) .... so there is no correct answer, just choices. I am glad that I did get a j/p config though because the space savings for me has been invaluable.