Thread: alumamark

alumamark

I've never used this before and don't have any on hand. How do you cut it? Is it good for outside applications?
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Alumamark is kind of a pain to cut, unless you have a small metal sheer.

The marking is not quite as black as it would be on the plastic laminates or with cermark on bare metal, but it's OK.

It's meant for indoors only.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Not sure about the durability outdoors, I use it for awards and name tags mostly. The best way to cut it is with a metal shear. I dont have one so I found the cleanest cutting method is to use a steel ruler as a guide and score the material with a utility knife. After you score it a few times on one side, it snaps right off. I sometimes get a burr on the edge of the thicker material and I just roll it back over with a smooth round stone I have laying around here. Alumamark has a website you can go to and find out about the outdoor durability of it.
    Pinnacle M-25 / Corel 11

There's a car club in my area where everyone makes custom trailers. They want ID plates on all trailers with no specific size or shape, at least not for now. Any ideas?
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

I just did some in anodized aluminum. Anodized holds up well outside by the way.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Craig and Joe

Craig,

I like using Alumamark other than the colors offered. I use a shear to cut mine but there are small plates and circles available already cut for your use.

Joe,

I have no problem getting a jet black mark on Alumamark.....on the gold and bronze I use 65p 100s on my 30 W. On the silver I use less power (usually around 24p).

Other than wanting a color more like my engraving brass and the tendancy to bend too easily I really like engraving this stuff. I would use more of it if the colors weren't so harsh.
    Cutter's Edge Engraving
    Swartz Creek, MI

ULS V-460 30W, Meistergram 1912, Dahlgren Wizzard XL, X3

Tapplastics.com makes a diamond tread acrylic that might look and work good for a trailer application. Just a thought.
    Pinnacle M-25 / Corel 11

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I just did some in anodized aluminum. Anodized holds up well outside by the way.
    I didn't think about that. I have some small anodized aluminum plates. They want black lettering so I'll engrave the background out. Do you think the small letters will hold up against the elements?
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

I agree with Brian. I use alumamark for locker name plate for the local surgery center. (DOCTORS LIKE TO SEE THEIR NAME IN BOLD PRINT). I get a dark black mark. I also bought a shear to cut it.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I have been advised that anodized aluminum is not for outdoor use since it will fade. Can you elaborate on your outdoor use experience with it?

Alex

Most of the anodized I do is the black which engraves to an off white color. I have some outdoors which is over 6 years old and still looks good. It is also the material of choice for the Missouri Botanical Gardens which uses literally hundreds of these signs for the outdoor gardens.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7