Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your workbench!!!!

Hi All

Just found this video about a English/French/German highbrid work bench and thought you may like to see.

http://popularwoodworking.com/video/?showid=64822

Hope you find it as intresting as I did...Regards Graham....
    Last edited by Graham Skinner; 11-10-2007 at 4:05 PM.

Holy cow Alan! That's beatiful! But what does your wife think about you keeping you tools in the kitchen?

Alan, is that a workbench or a kitchen counter? thats amazingly clean. Good job to all though.

Alan,

Looks more like a tool display, is your wife selling your tools?

Seriously, if that's an inkling of what your shop looks like I can only imagine what the rest of the layout looks like.

Very nice indeed!

Love that yellow beast in the background too. Not sure if I admire the bench or the rod more! Both are nice.
    Tim

Rearrangeable

Hi Lou,

Alan will win the prize for the nicest looking long bench, but I use a slightly different approach. Just like Mom used to re-arrange the furniture now and then when I was a kid, I occassionally like to rearrange the shop.

Last spring I added a new bench and smaller workbench, and when returning this fall, I started changing things around again. In the photo is three workbenches and a larger assembly table. That way when one bench is cluttered there are other places to slip in a quick project. Just something to think about. Modular work areas can be changed to suit whatever the current projects demand.

Closeups of benches can be seen in my past posts.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Aiken View Post
    Love that yellow beast in the background too. Not sure if I admire the bench or the rod more! Both are nice.
    Tim
    Thanks Tim,

It's a bit off topic but it's a 2004 Z06, one of my other hobbies.

The car is a lot of fun and my wife and I enjoy taking it out and the Corvette meets are awesome as well.

Catch the Wave....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Here is my 21' (I think) "back bench"...
    Alan, that back bench is spectacular. It's exactly what I'm looking to have in my shop. I haven't searched your posts to see if you've provided a shop tour yet but if you haven't, please do (in another thread so we don't divert this one). I'd like to see how your back bench fits in with the grand scheme of things. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Here's mine.
    Bruce,

I'm about to start on a similar bench. Could you tell the dimensions of yours? I'm especially interested in the size of the top, the footprint of the base and the amount of overhang on the front and sides.

Also, does it have a solid one piece back, or is it paneled. Do you have any trouble with it rocking in any direction?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Easy to build.. extremely sturdy and very funtional.. made with re-claimed beams from a civil war warehouse and scraps. To say the least, it's just a work-bench designed to do.. well.... work!

Sarge..

Thanks to all. I am probably going to build a unit on one of the long walls, and also something around 3X6' for a combination outfeed/assembly table.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Bruce,

I'm about to start on a similar bench. Could you tell the dimensions of yours? I'm especially interested in the size of the top, the footprint of the base and the amount of overhang on the front and sides.

Also, does it have a solid one piece back, or is it paneled. Do you have any trouble with it rocking in any direction?
    John, here is a screen capture of an Acad drawing of it.

Pegged mortise & tennon construction. Drawers are 17” deep giving me lots of storage.

Crappy picture of the back raised panel construction.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

BRUCE!!! Get back in your shop quick!!!! Your workbench is falling over!!!!!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    BRUCE!!! Get back in your shop quick!!!! Your workbench is falling over!!!!!

LOL! Not likely, the thing weighs a ton!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Here is my 21' (I think) "back bench". A couple of significant design features- cubbies for the power hand tools on top of the bench- tools always visible and easy to reach. Little drawers will eventually be added to the cubbies which will hold tool-specific tools/wrenches, supplies, etc. I have a slider (SCMS) mounted to a recessed sliding platform about 2/3 the way down the bench. The sliding platform is so I can stow the saw when not it use. There is a 6" DC port inside the cabinet below the SCMS. I have compressed air mid bench and numerous outlets. Since I have a separate assembly table and will be building a traditional WW bench I covered the top of this bench with laminate. It serves as a tool and supplies prep, sharpening, etc, and not a true "work" area. For ease of construction I designed it so all top drawers are the same size and all lower cabinet doors are the same size. FYI, the oak, was milled from trees cut down when they cleared my lot so all it cost was for the sawyer. They weren't the best trees and I had a lot of waste.

Tool Cubbies (large lower cabinet on the left holds a shopvac):

Allan,

I never get tired of looking at that back bench (I am sure you don't either).

By any chance are you sponsored by Porter Cable?

Can you post some pice of the rest of your shop?