Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on best woodworking schools/programs?

Opinions on best woodworking schools/programs?

I'm in the middle of a search for woodworking schools (preferably in the northeast). I'm looking for a one to two year program that focuses on furniture making. I have the names of multiple schools such as the North Bennet Street School and the New England School of Architectural Woodworking. I've gathered information on these; and I'm also wondering if anyone is an alum of a certain program they would highly recommend or otherwise has an opinion on a specific program. Any suggestions would are greatly appreciated!

There's two parts to learning woodworking. One is the skills building part which you can learn almost anywhere there's an experienced person to teach you.

The other part is the design part. If you're going to make fine furniture you have to design it yourself - if you just build something that's already been made, all you need are the skills part mentioned above. But most people don't want a "copy". If they want an Arts and Crafts piece, they want a Stickley or Greene and Greene piece, not an A&C copy. And if they do want a copy, they can get it at the local furniture store for a fraction of the price you'd have to charge them.

Design is really difficult - the furniture area has been worked hard and it's difficult to come up with a new, unique style that has appeal to enough people that you can make a living.

For example, Maloof's furniture is prized not because he's a skilled woodworker (although he is) but because he came up with a new vision for his furniture that appealed to enough people that he could make a living.

It is very difficult to make a living making furniture - most professional woodworkers make cabinets because those have to be "built to fit".

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-10-2007 at 2:28 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am also interested in Northeastern woodworking schools. I am currently a highschool student but I plan on woodworking professionally. As Mike mentioned, I will most likely be doing cabinet work as well as making furniture, even employing people, as I realize it it hard to make it these days in woodworking. Whether I turn out rich and dirty or just plain dirt poor, I'm in it for the enjoyment and not the money. I currently am looking for a good school to attend after high school graduation.
    "You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note." —Doug Floyd

On the job training is a possible alternative for picking up the necessary skills you want if there are no schools in your area.
    David B

one good school that you may be interested in is Inside Passage it is an offspring of james krenov, in the first part of the program you focus on hand tools and jointery, you will have to pass this section which includes making your own planes etc. before you can go to the next level. Redwoods is also a know place for students. If you are looking for a few shorter term programs that have some excellent teachers you could also look into yestermorrow school it is in vermont and has alot of good architecturaly accredited programs for furniture and design. In my opinion being a furniture maker is being an artist. you creat what inspires you and if you belive in what you make then you will be successful. Never make something that can be purchased at the local artvan or furniture retailer you will never make back your cost. "unless it is strictly commisioned". I have been doing alot of galleries lately and slowly have been gaining some attention. do something origional and pay respect to the craft of furniture making. Good luck to you both. if your ever in michigan stop by my shop.

Based soley on the work of one student I saw posted in another forum the North Bennet furniture program looks pretty darn good.

Tyler, if you are looking for any potential apprentice type work next summer, let me know and I'll put you in touch with a few folks in the local area. No guarantees, but you never know what might happen.
    -------

John, North Bennett gets a lot of exposure and is certainly an excellent program. You might also speak with Alan Turner and Mario Rodriguez at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop to see if they may be considering a more "full time" program or have some recommendations. Alan is an SMC member, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

How about our very own Alan Turner's Philadelphia Furniture Workshop http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/ as another possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by "Jason Belous" View Post
    you could also look into yestermorrow school it is in vermont and has alot of good architecturaly accredited programs for furniture and design.

I have taken a number of courses at Yestermorow and it is a very unique place, and virtually every course covers both the design and construction phases extensively. Their offerings as far as woodworking courses are somewhat limited now, but they do have plans on offering more as they expand their facilities. As of now they offer servile courses ranging from cabinet making, to beginning furniture making. They also offer a very good 1 week timber-framing class.

I am going to mention the Center for Furniture Crafsmanship in Rockport Maine. I am currently in the 12 week intensive program there. It is a great place for someone seeking to make furniture for a living or as a very serious hobby. All of the courses encourage you to design your own work.

Rob Will Guest
    I've been to Alan Turner's PFW. Nice place.

Rob

I live up here in Maine and I have not taken classes here but I have heard that the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockland, Maine has a great program. I think they have a 12 week class along with a 9 month program and also something longer....might be worth investigating. I think the classes can count as college credit in the university of maine system so that would be a great start if you ever want to go back to school and get a degree after doing WW for a while....Do a google search for them and their webpage should come up pretty close to the top.
    Good luck to you. I wish I could study under someone alas I am self taught but like they say the only way to learn is to make a mistake and then not make it again. (wish that was true...maybe someday)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

For example, Maloof's furniture is prized not because he's a skilled woodworker (although he is) but because he came up with a new vision for his furniture that appealed to enough people that he could make a living.
    Just a quick hijuack... thought this was interesting:

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it.

-Sam Maloof

At age 90 Maloof still puts in a full day, six days a week. That’s down from 80-100 hours per week when he was younger.

He is the recipient of a MacArthur Foundation Genius Award. His work can be found in the Smithsonian and the White House. A rocking chair will run you about $18,000, and his waiting list is several years long.
    One good turn deserves another

The other Northeastern programs not mentioned are:

The Furniture Institute of Massachusetts in Beverly MA run by Phil Lowe who ran the No Bennett St program for years before he started his place about 10 years ago. Expensive, but great instruction and facilities with only 2 students accepted every 6 months. The program is 2 years, starts with furniture drafting and continues through hand and power tool work.

Homestead Woodworking School in Newington NH run by Alan Mitchell. Excellent and reasonably priced but only offers a 12 week professional course

NH Institute of Furniture Making (NHIFM) run by the NH Furnituremasters. Not a school as such, but rather a 3 year tuitioned appreniceship program where each student does 6 rotations of 6 months working in the shop of such people as Jere Osgood, David Lamb, Terry Moore,etc. Only one or 2 students are accpted at a time.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

1st things 1st

1. If you're not married, marry a woman that makes lotsa loot, then you'll be able to very successful living as a woodworker from day one.

2. If you are married, steer your wife and into a career that makes losta loot.

If either step 1 or 2 work out for you, you'll do fine making a living as a woodworker.

And as an additional comment to what Larry said, I believe it was Chris Becksvoort (http://www.chbecksvoort.com/) that said something to the effect of "get a business degree at Harvard and you will be successful in whatever career you choose." Maybe a little harsh reality, but the point being that you can save yourself a lot of grief if you have business skills at the start. Yes, having the passion and soul as Sam Maloof said is very important, but so are the business skills.

In addition to the well-known schools mentioned, another option might be to apprentice with someone where you could get both woodworking training and also see what it is really like to run a business.

Good luck.

Kevin