Thread: Who makes replacement Jet mini tailstock washers?

Who makes replacement Jet mini tailstock washers?

In past threads, I found my issue with the Jet mini tailstock failing to tighten enough to prevent creep. What I didn't find was anyone who's making the replacement part to take away the creep. Anyone know of a source, or should I just go visit a local machine shop?

-jon-

I have noticed that I have to push on the levers for the tailstock and the tool rest more than I used to. It looks to me like you should be able to adjust it a bit just by tightening the nut at the bottom. If memory serves me correctly it is a nylon lined washer so if you tighten it it should stay were you want it.

If you need to replace the washer... Around here we have a place called Agri-Supply. They sell washers and nuts by the pound. I can go to Lowes or Home Depot and it would cost me $0.50/washer whereas Agri-Supply it may cost $0.02. I would think you could either get one a bit thicker than what you have or just get two.

Just my $0.02

Check out Randy's site under "mini" I think this is what you need.

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/

Yep Doug has it right. I got a couple and it has stopped the tailstock creep on my rikon and the banjo is solid. Check it out under Mini lathe. You can also find them on the Oneway site. Just search for clamp block.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 11-10-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A fellow Creeker made a couple of t-nuts for me some time ago that look identical to the ones on the Monster Tool site. Fixed the problem immediately (both the banjo and the tail stock.)

It's a design flaw, not just a thin washer or loose nut. I've adjusted the nut several times, but the tailstock isn't held with enough force to prevent sliding or creeping. If you hammer the handle hard enough to stop the creeping, it'll eventually strip the bolt -- the nut is easily replaced, so will never fail first.

All the earlier threads I found indicated that Jet was backordered on replacement bolts, so I expect this is a common problem for the 1014. The new 1220 has the same mechanisms (the same owner's manual even), they didn't fix anything. I'll find out tomorrow how backordered Jet is on bolts.

Thanks for the link for Randy's site, that's what I need. Except he's got so much cool stuff, those are going to be $400 washers.

-jon-

Keith Outten was making them.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.