Thread: project doubles

project doubles

I am not interested in making money with my woodworking because I'm afraid that would take out most of the fun. Also, as long as it takes from project start to completion, I would starve.

With that said, most of the time in making a wood projects for me is consumed by making jigs/templates, retooling, and endless test cuts. It seems silly to do all this work for just one project. I've been entertaining the thought of making at least one duplicate and selling it to cover the material cost for the one I keep and the one that gets sold. It could be a great way to fill up my house with furniture for "free" and maybe buy some more tools.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on pricing projects and advertising?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

project doubles

I have a habit of making three of most of my projects and sometimes as many a five. I make one by the plans then make a few changes and make another one and on and on. One thing I noticed is the first one always looks the best maybe I should stick to the plans. Barry Bruner

There have been a number of times that I have decided to make multiples; usually because I like the design. While I have not yet sold any, I'll leave that option open. Some projects lend themselves to this, too. Thinks like end tables and certain kinds of chairs. And if you have "jigged up" for one, going for more is all that much easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...