Thread: Shellac Before Stain Fully Cured?

Shellac Before Stain Fully Cured?

I know Minwax isn't everyone's favorite, but it's the only brand I could find that got me the right color. I tried other brands, dyes, mixing, etc. Anyway, if I spray de-waxed shellac over the stain before it's fully cured, will I have problems? It says 24 hours, which still isn't a full cure and I have no problems, but I'm wondering about 12-15 hours.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would expect eventual problems as you are sealing the uncured stain from the air. JMHO. If you have to rush and are going to use shellac anyway, just dye the shellac and skip the stain. Dries in less than an hour.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

Shellac is my favorite, and if I need to add color, I use garnett or dye, like you suggest. This time, I just couldn't get the color to match the old roll top desk the customer had. Now with the stain, even several days doesn't fully cure it, and the shellac has been the same with the 24 hour wait or days of waiting. I'm just not sure how much of the solvent needs to be gone to avoid problems.

Thanks,

Greg

If the stain is dry to the touch then go ahead and seal it with dewaxed shellac and get on with it.

i tried once to wipe on shelac over stain that was not completely dry and it actualy lifted the stain off the wood when I spread it out. Not sure if the effect would be similar to spraying.

Thumbs down what's the word I'm thinking of

,,,,,,,,,,,oh yea- now I remember - NO!

i wouldn't do that- not a good idea
    My 2 cnts,
    Brian

If you just "hafta" topcoat that quickly, then crank up the heat in the drying area. It will cure a lot faster at 84° than at 72°. But the label directions are probably based on temps in the 70s so you really have to get up well above that to achieve a time shorter than given on the can.