Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kryo tools 20-25% off. Worth it?

Kryo tools 20-25% off. Worth it?

I've being eyeballing this tools for a while and CSUSA have then on sale. Does any of you have any experience with them? For the money does this sound like a deal or nothing to rush about?
    Thanks

Alex,

My last 3 tools were from creeker Doug Thompson. They are excellent and everything they are cracked up to be.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

The HT Kryo is still M2 steel.
    Take a look at this:
    thompsonlathetools.com
    They are made with a higher grade steel with the cryogenic heat treating.
    Mark Baker of Woodturning Magazine (UK) has a very favorite report on the November issue (No. 180).
    They are the same steel and same treatment as the original Jerry Glaser red handle tools.

Gordon

I agree with what every one else has said so far. The Thompson tools are wonderful and Doug is a great guy. I have three of his gouges and think they're great.

Doug you can't beat the price and can't beat the warranty either. His warranty is the best bar none.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

4 out of 4 same answer. I guess everyone can't be crazy. I owe to my self to look at them.
    Alex

I just took a pick to some of the tools and have aquestion already. What is the difference between thev and u shape bowl gouges other than the ovbious shape?
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Elias View Post
    4 out of 4 same answer. I guess everyone can't be crazy. I owe to my self to look at them.
    Alex

Make that 5. I also use Doug's Tools and think they're the best quality and value around. I couldnt find anything to compare with them here in the UK.
    You wont be disappointed.
    Regards, Bill

Make it 6 I've got 8 or 9 of Doug's tools and they are about all I use anymore!

Alex
    The Thompson fans highjack your question. I too am interested in the Thompson tools but haven't bought one yet. I believe there is a difference between Thompson and Taylor Kyro's. Thompson are special powdered metal tool steel and cyrogenically treated while the Taylor Kyro's are HSS cyrogenically treated.

The exciting part for me of the Craft Supply sale is that it includes thier Artisan line of tools which are Henry Taylor tools that did not pass the finish inspection. Same great tool just not as shiney. 20% off a tool that I already think is a great value is a good deal.

No offense intended to the Thompson fans. I must admitt I am looking forward to trying one of those the next time I need to replace a tool.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Robert Hainstock

where can iI look at them?

Quote Originally Posted by robert hainstock View Post
    Probably at www dot woodturnerscatalog dot com.

Extremely pleasant folks to deal with, BTW.

Joe

No experience with these tools

But I have spent time talking to a metallurgy engineer here at work about the concept (and HSS, etc)

Yes cryo treatment is real and does make a difference. The question is, does it make enough of a difference to make the price difference worth the extra money. I guess it comes down to if you think the extra $$$ are worth the time you don't spend resharpening the tool.

One of his questions (and he admits he has no idea the answer to this question)... Since the cryo-steel tools are harder, it takes longer to sharpen them. Do you lose the time sharpening them that you gain by not having to sharpen them as often????
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by robert hainstock View Post
    There is no middle man, no distributor, no kick-back, no mark-up, no discount; you can only get Thompson Tools directly from him.
    He makes all tools by himself at his garage shop. The A-11 steel and cryogenic heat treatment are very expensive. Doug makes them affordable by not operating as a business, no overhead. He is a woodturner; has a full time job that pays his insurance, workers' comp etc.
    He is a member of our NCWT Club in Cleveland, OH. He took his tools to our meeting and let members took them home to use till the next month. Most opted to purchase them instead of returning them.
    Send him an email. If you belong to a club, chances are someone near you are using his tools.
    The only comparable tool in the market is the Glaser Tools.
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=glaser&Page=2
    If you can afford them, the Glaser are better tools. They have very nice lead shot handles.
    Give Thompson a try; they have the best value. If you don't like it; he will buy it back.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post

Since the cryo-steel tools are harder, it takes longer to sharpen them. Do you lose the time sharpening them that you gain by not having to sharpen them as often????
    Yes, it only takes longer to SHAPE the tool; it makes no difference in refreshing the edge. If you don't intend to re-shape the grind each time you go to the grinder, you only need to touch the bevel very LIGHTLY. You use the same grinder set up as any HSS steel.

They can be honed very well between actually going to the grinders. The steel is expensive; you want as little metal taken away as possible.

I could be wrong on this. I don't think it is the hardness that makes this steel desirable to us. Hardness and brittleness go hand in hand. It is the wear resistance that makes this steel valuable to us.

Gordon