Thread: Grizzly Shipping Service - Spectacular

Grizzly Shipping Service - Spectacular

After trying for almost 6 months to find a used 12 inch jointer on ebay or CL, I bit the bullet and ordered a G0609 from Grizzly.

I placed the order at 11AM on Monday morning, and my wife was called by the freight company at 2PM on Tuesday looking to schedule delivery. BTW I live in the Chicago western suburbs.

Unfortunately I will only be able to be home on Friday, so will have to wait all week until this 1000 lb monster arrives.
    Wood'N'Scout

2. Yeah, I hear you Steve. I've been looking for a used 12", old or new iron for months. Not much here in the midwest that I've come across.

I hope you post a review of this machine after you have it for a while. I was really close to buying this from Wilke (the Yorkcraft 12" was the same machine as the Grizzly), and then from Grizzly, but never did. Let us know how it works out, and especially how the knives get changed without a cutterhead lock like the G9860 has.

Congratulations. Please be sure to post the "required" pictures. How are you planning on getting it in your shop?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I came close to scoring a 12" Northfield a number of years back, but it didn't happen. So I bought new, although it is a 14" J/P combo with Tersa knives. Wide is good!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I ordered the jointer with lift gate service. Grizzly tells me the jointer is on a pallet. My plan, as far as it goes, is to convince/bribe the driver to move it into the shop. If I can't get it done that way is to leave it on the driveway and go out and rent a pallet jack.

Wish me luck. I have never dealt with a 1,000 lb. machine before.
    Wood'N'Scout

Nice score! I have an 8" and like it a bunch, but occasionally lament not going bigger..... Please post pics when the beast is uncrated.
    I too can vouch for Grizzly's very prompt and attentive customer service. Last week I ordered a new BS 9pm Monday night. Wed am the freight dispatch (UPS Freight) called to schedule delivery that same day but I wound up taking delivery on Thursday.
    On the flip side I ordered a bunch of t-track, hold downs and misc stuff for getting "jiggy"... and I had to bug Woodpeck 3 times before even getting a reply and the retort from their CS was as if I was a nuisance checking on my $400 order..... But, they did as asked although I dislike being a customer and having to beg for service.
    Congrats!
    Greg

Glad you guys are having a positive experience with Grizzly.

I'm a pro-Grizzly guy, and have bought 3 large pieces from them (and two from sister company Shopfox). Unfortunately I've had 5 unique trouble tickets opened with them since September. Though one ticket was more due to UPS freight.

The customer service response has been great once each problem is found, and they've worked with me on schedules for replacements. But I've been underwhelmed by the overall experience and the need to use their good customer service so much.

Having good customer service is commendable. Having to tap that resource on a continuous basis is not.

-Kevin

I think most of the problems others encounter with shipping is the distance travelled for the crates of machines etc. The cheap shipping (I know we don't think it is cheap, but companies like Grizz etc get huge discounts, try calling UPS freight and getting a quote to ship 1,000 lbs). These LTL freight carriers move things from warehouse to warehouse to warehouse to final delivery destination. The twits in the warehouses are usually the ones to damage the freight.
    Personally, I live @ 3 hours from the Grizz facility in Springfield, MO so I know the machine isn't handled tooooo many times, give a little peace of mind for me anyway. I also have everything shipped to my work, I know the drivers from dealing with them for work, and the day job had dock access & forklift.....
    Ya have to be VERY thorough inspecting things before signing on the weighbill or else claims become a PITA.
    Anyway, I am envious of the big new jointer.....

Greg

Greg,

I can assure you that in my case, four of the five trouble tickets have nothing to do with shipping damage.

-Kevin

Kevin,
    Anything worthy of sharing? Inquiring mind here......

Greg