Thread: Another motor question...

Question Another motor question...

I'm still looking for a more powerful motor for my lathe. The biggest problem I have is that I don't know the terminology. Here are some options from a website someone pointed me to:

MOTORS
    Base Mount AC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Base Mount DC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Base Mount 3 Phase
    Air Conditioner/ Fan AC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Air Conditioner/ Fan DC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Air Conditioner/ Fan 3 Phase
    Dual Shaft AC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Dual Shaft DC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Dual Shaft 3 Phase
    C-Face AC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Face Mount DC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    C-Face 3 Phase
    Miscellaneous Motors AC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Miscellaneous Motors DC (CW), (CCW), (DUAL)
    Timing,Stepper,and Servo Motors
    Pool,Spa and Jet Pump Motors
    MOTORS
    Base Mount 3 Phase
    Dual Shaft 3 Phase
    C-Face 3 Phase

Can anyone tell me what ANY of this means? CW? CCW? DUAL? I assume that some of these should be ruled out immediately but I don't know which ones. I also notice that they come in a couple of different RPM's, which do I want?

Thanks for your help.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Christenson; 11-14-2007 at 5:26 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

If I remember correctly.

CW = clockwise rotation
    CCW = counter clockwise rotation
    DUAL = clockwise or counter clockwise rotation (Either or)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    CW = clockwise rotation
    CCW = counter clockwise rotation
    DUAL = clockwise or counter clockwise rotation (Either or)
    That makes sense. As suspected, I am an idiot!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Jason, take a look here,
    http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?...ID=75&scID=103
    this is a 230volt 3 phase 1 hp mtr with VFD drive , it runs on 1 phase 230 volt and the motor is 3 phase 230 volt allowing the drive to control its speed, very good as the controller picks which windings to energize to accomplish the speed at the controllers request. compared to a DC motor it( the AC ) is better as the low speed torque is still high where as the DC motor starts to fall off severly under 50% voltage or there abouts. I can stall my DC motor even at full power ( also needs its magnets recharged, ) on this one the price is not bad , the 2 hp is 450$ and free shiping.the C mount is a face mount see my post , easy enuf to make,and if you have the room you could do it as a swinging hinge to a base mount, like most table saw motors are, using the weight to set the tension..
    John 3:16

Timing motors typically have a self-contained gearbox, and turn verrrry slow. Also forget about stepper and servo motors; they operate in a pulse mode for precise positioning (usually under computer control), not appropriate for lathe power.

Dual rotation is usually done by changing the wiring inside the motor's junction box; the wiring can also be fed to a switch of appropriate throw, such as one with three positions (center off).

Joe

Loretto, Ontario (in the sticks, north of Toronto)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson View Post
    MOTORS
    Base Mount 3 Phase
    Dual Shaft 3 Phase
    C-Face 3 Phase

Can anyone tell me what ANY of this means? CW? CCW? DUAL? I assume that some of these should be ruled out immediately but I don't know which ones. I also notice that they come in a couple of different RPM's, which do I want?

Thanks for your help.

Jason
    This is my 2 cents of input, for what it's worth. Hopefully, I haven't misinterpretted anything.

I believe face mount means that something can bolt to it at the shaft area, say like with a water pump type of application.

Dual shaft has an output shaft on each end of the motor, so one side will spin clockwise and the other will go counter-clockwise at the same time.

Most houses have single phase service, so you would probably need a phase converter for a 3-phase motor. Converting like this could reduce the motor horsepower rating by 1/3 - i.e a 3hp would perform like a 2hp. My preference would be to stick with the single phase and spend a little extra for a 220 volt motor and run the required wiring for it.

I prefer a motor with an rpm of 1750 ± a bit. The bit can be from 1700 to 1750 or 1800. Controlling the reduction ratios is easier at this shaft speed. Some motors will list at 3450rpm. Say you wanted a head stock speed of 850-ish, which would be roughly a 4:1 reduction ratio, with a 2.5" pulley on the motor, you would need a 10" pulley driving your headstock. To get there with 1750, it would only require a 5" pulley, more reasonable in cost too, if you’re changing pulleys. There are websites that can help figure out the ratio calculations if you are changing your existing pulleys. Or you can e-mail or PM my for one.

You may want some that says “TEFC” also, “total enclosed fan casing”, I think.

Look at the Baldor or Leeson websites for some good motor information. Once you go there, you’ll be surprised at how inexpensive they can be at surplus or auction sites. I picked up a 5hp for $250 on an auction site.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Christopher Zona; 11-16-2007 at 12:16 AM.
    Regards,

Chris