Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morris Chair progress

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    Actually if you look here:

http://www.stickley.com/features/index.html

it says that now they use quadrilinear posts, but that stickley originally used veneer to cover the non qs faces. They build theirs with a solid center post, something I probably should have done and gotten the best of both worlds. Next time I will include a solid center post during glue-up. My only concern would be making the centerpost the right size so that there are no gaps at the top where it shows through the arm.

Thanks again for the kind words, all.
    I just wonder??? Couldn't you make the center post shorter & put a cap with a tenon on the bottom to fit the recess like your doing now?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I could, if I had thought of that. I didn't cut the mortises quite perfect knowing they'd be covered by a cap. Next time!

If I recall correctly, the quadrilinear posts were the invention of Gustav's brother Leopold Stickley (of L&JG Stickley).
    When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I feel like I gave birth. 6 or 7 weeks now to get here. All done except for upholstery and that's my wife's gig. Fumed in ammonia for 4.5 days, 2 coats of amber shellac, then rubbed out with some magic beeswax polish my wife gets from some crazy ladies where she works. It looks awesome. It looks very handmade with all the ahem... character! I put into it. Yeah, that's the ticket. It looks pretty awesome.

WOW! That looks great! Nice work.

Tom

Hey Marcus,
    Looking good from here..... how did you curve the arms? Steam bend?
    I like the finish and will hopefully get to see it in person sooner n later.
    FYI, I didn't pick up as much walnut as I wanted yesterday, but managed to get about 65 bf and chipped him down on the price a wee bit. I am a cheap bas... err frugal fella once in a while.
    Once I know 100% about the planer upgrade or not... I'll start working on a time to run down to Windsor and stock up and take ya up on that offer for a cold one.
    What's the plan for cushion? fabric, leather...?

Cheers.

Greg - yeah steam bent them. I used the boiler for my beermaking to provide the steam. It was quite a bit of work to get 7/8" oak bent but worth it. I really like the aesthetics of the bent-arm morris chairs. Let me make sure I've got some brew ready before you come down. I'm dead empty right now, I'm out of base malt for making the beer so it'll be a couple of weeks before I have anything drinkable.