Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Good News and Bad News

Guys... here's what I've seen on a forum that's arguably the size of this one.

5% of the people contribute 95% of the content.

It's the CONTENT that makes a forum worth coming back to. The 95% that do not contribute (through advice or conversation) are only worth one thing... advertising fodder.

We drop the banner ads for all that contribute (any amount). We also drop banner ads for those who contribute materially (through participation). For the rest, the advice and good reading is free, but they get to look at the advertising. It's VERY simple to manage in VBulletin. It takes just moments to ad the modules that take contributions online and do all the work for you.

Google AdSense is a great resource Keith, as are many targeted marketing portals. They will not affect your contributing membership at all, or even be seen.

I know you have an idea of what you feel this forum should generate in income (above expenses), and that PERFECTLY OK. You shouldn't share that with anyone except those in your business plan, and make the steps necessary to grow this business into a self-sustaining model.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Gary , If I have to pay an admittance fee to what could plainly be subsidised by other means , I'll just pass and move on.
    I take some offense at being told by you or anyone else to cough up when I have put huge amounts of time and effort and thought into my posts and have shared my knowledge without profiting from it. If thats not good enough a contribution , I don't know what is.

When its not here because of not enough contributions you won't be able to contribute your 2 cent worth of knowledge.

Oh & no you don't have to give money but a nicer attitude would be great.

I see you have around 690 posts & have been here a long time which means you have the fullest understanding of how this forum is run....am I correct in assuming you know it all?

Just a 1/2 cent addition to my 2 cents of contribution already contributed.

I'll be sending my contribution after the first of the year. Is there a snail mail address to send it to?
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-23-2007 at 1:53 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart,

In all fairness Rodne has been a major contributor here in the laser engraving forum. Those who don't have a reason to visit that particular forum wouldn't know but Rodne has some posts that are more like articles than threads. He has been very generous with information concerning alternate techniques and lots of good information for people just starting in the laser engraving and awards businesses. Rodne will most likely be a new Moderator soon so he has proven his willingness to contribute time and talent.

It is true what you say that we must pay the bills here or go off line which won't be beneficial to anyone so we have to stay focused on what we can do to make things better and provide for our financial needs at the same time. Mike Hood has offered some very sound advice, Aaron and I will be discussing his ideas ASAP to see if we can implement them as he has suggested. A key factor for me is I don't ever want our Contributors to see advertising of any kind here.

I really would like to see some extra money being generated somehow...not necessarilly for my pocket but for programing costs associated with the shop tours module we have been dreaming about. The most outrageously cool shop tours web site you can imagine would be a major hit here. If i had the developement funds I would invest in it myself but I am still in debt paying off the loans for The Creek. I'm a patient man, I'll find a way somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I really would like to see some extra money being generated somehow...not necessarilly for my pocket but for programing costs associated with the shop tours module we have been dreaming about.
    Keep in mind your dream Keith. Treat it as a business. Keep your business plan close to to the chest, and don't feel you have any reason explain how many members, how much they pay or even what your long term strategy is.

I suggest you:

- implement banners (there are some great banner rotation modules for VBulletin)
    - get a Google adSense account (free and pays some small amounts)
    - solicit some advertising (never hurts to ask... start small)
    - solicit vendor discounts (5%-10% for using a special SMC code)
    - solicit vendor donations
    - add an auction module (many out there). Great for donated items.

Then... you structure your membership levels to something like:

- contributor (maybe by years) ie: 5 year contributor, etc.
    - sponsor

And then YOU can decide what each level gets to make use of. Some people will pay to NOT look at banner ads. Some others won't care (they are the marketing fodder you WANT actually)

Either way... you run this place... do what you feel necssary, just be careful with black and white solutions. A site that REQUIRES payment to participate will dwindle to nothing. A site that is ad-free has NO sponsorship value.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions (somesailor@gmail.com)

I've been down this road before and I feel your pain... hang in there.

-

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Bart,

In all fairness Rodne
    Ok I"ll pull my horns in.

My problem is the thought goes through my head someone will go out & buy a hamburger & they cost about the same as a donation to SMC & they expect to pay for the hamburger but all the forums that cost much more to keep on the internet are supposed to be completely free. (NOT) Where as not eating the hamburger & the fries & the soft drink that goes with it will cut back on the cholesterol & triglycerides & FAT then send the hamburgers cost in a yearly contribution to SMC would be much healthier & support something they seem to enjoy.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-23-2007 at 8:16 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart,

Thank you for your input and continued support. You can send your donation to Northwind Associates, 8770 Little England Road, Hayes, VA 23072.

Jackie

Made a donation

Hello! I made a donation and hope you get lots of others How do I find the store to see what is available?

Thanks

Lisa burger

Lisa,

From the main menu here there is a SawMill Creek Store Forum that contains several threads with information on hats, shirts and coffee mugs.

Thanks for your support this year,
    Keith

I just checked our Active Users number this morning. We are at 9,781 so we should reach 10,000 in less than 5 days. Our total number of registered Members will hit 25,000 in less time.

This is the growth rate I have been talking about.

On November 28th we hit 10,005 Active Members. It took one day longer than I predicted. According to our logs we ranged between 43 to 74 new members each day for the last seven days.

I expect most don't pay much attention to the numbers here but they are significant and it is wise for us to forecast our needs ahead of time.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-29-2007 at 5:40 AM.

Dont count the procrastinators out yet folks. I've donated for the last 2 years and last year for whatever reason, I think it was January or Feb. before I finally got it checked off my To-Do list. Had intentions of doing it all along, but just kept forgetting to do it.
    Use the fence Luke

i just sent my contribution in....keep up the great work!!
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Post Keith, "A clearly visible announcement"

I noticed that you roughly have 4,754 views (as of when I wrote this) on a post that is of considerable importance on sustaining the life of Saw Mill Creek. You said you have roughly 10,000 active members and roughly 22,000 registered members- this sight has less than half of the active members that even know about this situation and roughly 21 percent of 22,000 registered members that are cognoscente of this matter. I am just trying to help with a little business advise and it just seams to me; you may need to find a way of getting this message across to every member that is registered to SMC. I am not familiar with how Vbulliten (if that's what this format is) works but can't you insert a more "clearly visible" message on the the very top - next to the SMC logo- something to get the word out without members having to search for it- if your asking for help- make it known to all, no searching through threads, no stumbling into it by accident- you have , and I don't mean to repeat myself , 79 percent (total) that don't even know about this??????? I really think you will have much more success reaching "all members", by making a "clearly displayed" notice , a "statement" at the top of your website. If it were me, which it's not, this announcement would be very clearly visible, that's the only way you are going to reach every individual that accesses SMC. 79 percent are out there on the ball field and they don't even know the balls coming- 79 percent? Please give this some thought and I am only trying to help you and SMC Keith.
    Thank you
    Sincerely,
    Brian Weick
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 11-29-2007 at 10:07 AM.

New Contributor

I just made my donation via PayPal, and I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner. I've gotten tons of tips and valuable information from the Creek, and I know what it really costs to run a site like this.

Long live the Creek!
    Have a great day,
    Cary Fleming
    Laser Wonders
    Euless, TX
    VersaLaser VL-300 (40w), Corel Draw 2019, Photograv, Dye Sub Printers, Heat Presses

Thumbs up Cary~

Thank you- Hopefully the other members will get the message - welcome aboard to SMC contributors forum and it's other contributing members can't thank you enough as well! ~ thank you!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Dont count the procrastinators out yet folks. I've donated for the last 2 years and last year for whatever reason, I think it was January or Feb. before I finally got it checked off my To-Do list. Had intentions of doing it all along, but just kept forgetting to do it.
    QFT!

Mine was snail-mailed yesterday

Enough for two peeps
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!